Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

From age 3 to 80, Barcelona victims represent a wide world

News

From age 3 to 80, Barcelona victims represent a wide world
News

News

From age 3 to 80, Barcelona victims represent a wide world

2017-08-20 12:07 Last Updated At:15:38

An Italian father who saved his children's lives but lost his own. An American celebrating his first wedding anniversary. A Portuguese woman celebrating her birthday with her granddaughter.

These were some of the 14 people from around the world killed in vehicle attacks in Barcelona and the nearby seaside resort of Cambrils on Thursday and early Friday. They spanned generations — from age 3 to age 80 — and leave behind devastated loved ones. The victims — who also include over 120 people wounded in the attacks — come from nearly three dozen countries.

More Images
A man cries as he prays by a memorial tribute to the van attack victims. (AP Photo/Manu Fernandez)

A man cries as he prays by a memorial tribute to the van attack victims. (AP Photo/Manu Fernandez)

Bruno Gulotta, at center wearing a black shirt, with his colleagues at their office in Legnano, near Milan, Italy. Gulotta is one of the 14 victims of Thursday's deadly van attack in Barcelona. (Tom's Hardware Italy via AP)

Bruno Gulotta, at center wearing a black shirt, with his colleagues at their office in Legnano, near Milan, Italy. Gulotta is one of the 14 victims of Thursday's deadly van attack in Barcelona. (Tom's Hardware Italy via AP)

People pay their respects at a memorial tribute of flowers, messages and candles to the victims. (AP Photo/Emilio Morenatti)

People pay their respects at a memorial tribute of flowers, messages and candles to the victims. (AP Photo/Emilio Morenatti)

Dan Tucker, father of Jared Tucker. (AP Photo/Jocelyn Gecker)

Dan Tucker, father of Jared Tucker. (AP Photo/Jocelyn Gecker)

Belgium of Elke Vanbockrijck who was a victim in Thursday's deadly van attack in Barcelona, Spain. (TCity of Tongeren via AP)

Belgium of Elke Vanbockrijck who was a victim in Thursday's deadly van attack in Barcelona, Spain. (TCity of Tongeren via AP)

A man cries as he prays by a memorial tribute to the van attack victims. (AP Photo/Manu Fernandez)

A man cries as he prays by a memorial tribute to the van attack victims. (AP Photo/Manu Fernandez)

Here is a look at some of them:

Francisco Lopez Rodriguez, 57, and Javier Martinez, 3, Spain

Francisco Lopez Rodriguez was killed with his 3-year-old grand-nephew, Javier Martinez, while walking along the Las Ramblas promenade in Barcelona.

Lopez was accompanied by his wife Roser — who is recovering from her wounds in a hospital — her niece and the niece's two children, one of them Javier.

"He was a lovely man, kind and charitable. Everyone loved him," said 81-year-old Natalia Moreno Perez from Lopez's native town of Lanteira, some 700 inhabitants outside Granada in southern Spain.

"I knew him from when he was a kid, always telling jokes," said Natalia. "Terrible news, the town is in mourning."

Lopez emigrated from the town with his family in the 1960s to seek work. He lived in Rubi, a migrant town of 75,000 people northwest of Barcelona, and had been visiting the Catalan capital.

Leading newspaper El Pais said Lopez worked as a metal worker in Rubi and had been walking back from Barcelona port area when the van burst onto Las Ramblas.

"We are a broken family," niece Raquel Baron Lopez posted on Twitter.

Granddaughter and grandmother, 20 and 74, Portugal

The two were in Barcelona to celebrate the grandmother's birthday when they were caught up in the horror on Las Ramblas, according to Portuguese media reports.

They had arrived in the city for a week's vacation just a few hours before they were killed, Jose Luis Carneiro, Lisbon's secretary of state for Portuguese communities abroad, told reporters.

The older woman was reported dead Friday, while the younger woman was initially reported as missing before finally being identified Saturday.

Those hours left her parents in a painful limbo, Carneiro said.

The parents are "broken-hearted," Carneiro said. "Firstly, because they were caught by surprise by the death of the man's mother and then spent hours not knowing what had happened to their daughter. It's very tragic."

The family's names were not released.

Pepita Codina, 75, Spain

Pepita Codina's death was confirmed by Xavier Vilamala, the mayor of Hipolit de Voldrega, the town of 3,000 people where she was from near Barcelona.

Vilamala said on Twitter he was "very sad and distressed" by the news.

Local media reported that Codina's daughter, Elisabet, was injured in the attack, but is currently out of danger at Hospital del Marin Barcelona.

Bruno Gulotta, 35, Italy

A father from Legnano in northern Italy is being praised as a hero who protected his children during an attack in Barcelona.

One of his Gulotta's work colleagues, Pino Bruno, told the Italian news agency ANSA that he saved the life of his two young children — Alessandro, 6, and Aria, 7 months — by throwing himself between them and the van that mowed people down.

Bruno said he spoke to Gulotta's wife, Martina, and she told him her husband had been holding the 6-year-old's hand on the tourist-thronged avenue in Barcelona when "the van appeared suddenly."

Bruno Gulotta, at center wearing a black shirt, with his colleagues at their office in Legnano, near Milan, Italy. Gulotta is one of the 14 victims of Thursday's deadly van attack in Barcelona. (Tom's Hardware Italy via AP)

Bruno Gulotta, at center wearing a black shirt, with his colleagues at their office in Legnano, near Milan, Italy. Gulotta is one of the 14 victims of Thursday's deadly van attack in Barcelona. (Tom's Hardware Italy via AP)

"Everyone knelt down, instinctively, as if to protect themselves," Bruno said, adding that Gulotta put himself in front of his children and was fatally struck.

Gulotta was a sales manager for Tom's Hardware Italia, an online publication about technology. "Rest in peace, Bruno, and protect your loved ones from up high," read one tribute on the company's website.

Carmen Lopardo, 80, Italy

Lopardo, apparently the oldest person to die in the attack, was among three Italians killed in Barcelona, according to Italy's foreign ministry.

In a statement, it said Lopardo was killed in the "vile terrorist attack in Barcelona," without providing details.

News reports said Lopardo was an Italian who had immigrated to Argentina in 1950 and was visiting Barcelona.

Silvina Alejandra Pereyra, 40, Argentina and Spain

Argentina's Foreign Ministry says Pereyra, an Argentine-Spanish dual citizen who resided in Barcelona for the last 10 years, is among those who died.

It says in a statement that her death was confirmed through family members living in Bolivia after a cousin identified her body at a morgue in Barcelona.

The Argentine government expressed its deep regret over the pain caused to Pereyra's family and friends and said its diplomatic missions in Barcelona and Madrid are working to assist.

People pay their respects at a memorial tribute of flowers, messages and candles to the victims. (AP Photo/Emilio Morenatti)

People pay their respects at a memorial tribute of flowers, messages and candles to the victims. (AP Photo/Emilio Morenatti)

Luca Russo, 25, Italy

One of Italy's three victims in the Barcelona van attack is being mourned as a brilliant young engineer dragged to his death before his girlfriend's eyes.

A determined Luca Russo, 25, already had a job in electronic engineering, no easy feat in Italy, where youth unemployment runs stubbornly high.

"We were investing in him, we wanted to make him grow professionally," the Italian news agency ANSA quoted Stefano Facchinello, one of the partners in the Padua area company where Russo had worked for a year, as saying.

The girlfriend, Marta Scomazzon, who was hospitalized with a fractured foot and elbow, told an aunt that "we were walking together, then the van came on top of us."

Ana Maria Suarez, Spain

The Spanish Royal family sent condolences to Suarez's family in its Twitter account after Ana Maria died in the attack in the resort town of Cambrils.

According to local media, the woman was originally from the city of Zaragoza, and was on vacation with her family. Her husband and one of her sisters are injured in a hospital.

She is the only civilian to have been killed in Cambrils, where attackers wearing fake explosives belts were shot to death by police.

Jared Tucker, 42, USA

California resident Jared Tucker, 42, and his wife were ending their European vacation in Barcelona after visiting Paris and Venice, and were on their way to a beach when they decided to stop at a cafe on La Rambla.

Shortly after her husband left to use the restroom "all mayhem broke out," Heidi Nunes-Tucker told NBC News. She said she could not find her husband at first, and the friend they were staying with helped her search.

Later, they learned that he was among those killed in the truck attack in Barcelona, the only known American fatality.

Nunes-Tucker, 40, called her husband "truly the love of my life," and says she's struggling to make sense of the violence.

"It's hard not to be angry," she said. "It's confusing why anybody would want to hurt anybody like that."

Tucker's father, Daniel Tucker, said the couple had saved for the vacation to celebrate their one-year wedding anniversary, and had sent joyful pictures, the last of which arrived a day before the tragedy.

Dan Tucker, father of Jared Tucker. (AP Photo/Jocelyn Gecker)

Dan Tucker, father of Jared Tucker. (AP Photo/Jocelyn Gecker)

Jared Tucker, who worked with his father in a family business remodeling swimming pools, had "a magnetic personality and people loved him," his father said. He liked to fish, play golf and other sports and he was deeply in love with his wife, a schoolteacher.

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson expressed condolences to the victim's family.

Jared Tucker leaves behind three daughters, his sister said in a message on a fundraising website.

Elke Vanbockrijck, Belgium

The local soccer club in her hometown of Tongeren held a moment of silence Friday night for Vanbockrijck, as members honored a woman who clearly left her mark on the team.

She was at the KFC Heur Tongeren soccer club "nearly every day" ferrying her 10- and 14-year-old boys back and forth to training and matches, said team president Arnould Partoens.

The family was on vacation in Barcelona. The boys and their father, a policeman, were unhurt, he said.

Belgium of Elke Vanbockrijck who was a victim in Thursday's deadly van attack in Barcelona, Spain. (TCity of Tongeren via AP)

Belgium of Elke Vanbockrijck who was a victim in Thursday's deadly van attack in Barcelona, Spain. (TCity of Tongeren via AP)

Team vice president Herwig Dessers said coaches and players would stand in silence to remember her over the next few days "and talk to the children about what happened."

A picture of Vanbockrijck now rests on the bar inside the clubhouse.

Boy, 7, Australia and Philippines

Uncertainty surrounded the case of a 7-year-old boy whose mother was badly wounded in the Barcelona attack.

The Australian and Philippines governments said the boy was missing and his British father had gone to search for him. Catalan police, however, said all victims were accounted for and no one was missing. Spanish media reported the boy was in a Barcelona hospital.

He and his mother were in Barcelona to attend the wedding of a cousin from the Philippines, according to Philippines undersecretary Sarah Arriola.

The mother, a 43-year-old Filipino woman, was hospitalized. She had been based in Australia for the past three or four years, Arriolo said.

Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has asked people to pray for the boy, who has Australian citizenship.

"All of us as parents know the anguish his father is going through, and his whole family is going through, as they rush to seek to find him in Barcelona," Turnbull said.

The family's names were not officially released.

Barry Hatton and Helena Alves in Lisbon, Portugal; Ciarian Giles in Madrid, Jocelyn Gecker in Walnut Creek, California; Lorne Cook in Brussels, Nicole Winfield in Rome, and Kristen Gelineau in Sydney contributed.

Next Article

Israeli leader Netanyahu will visit Hungary, defying an international arrest warrant

2025-04-02 23:05 Last Updated At:23:11

BUDAPEST, Hungary (AP) — Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is scheduled to arrive in Hungary on Wednesday to meet with its nationalist prime minister despite an international arrest warrant for the Israeli leader over the war in the Gaza Strip.

Netanyahu's four-day visit to Budapest is a sign of both his close relationship with Prime Minister Viktor Orbán and the latter's growing hostility toward international institutions like the International Criminal Court, of which Hungary is a member.

Orbán, a conservative populist and close Netanyahu ally, has vowed to disregard the ICC warrant, accusing the world’s top war crimes court based in The Hague, Netherlands, of “interfering in an ongoing conflict for political purposes.”

Members of Orbán's government have suggested that Hungary, which became a signatory to the court in 2001, could withdraw. Currently, all countries in the 27-member European Union are signatories, and all members are required to detain suspects facing a warrant if they set foot on their soil. But the court relies on member countries to enforce that.

The ICC, the world’s only permanent global tribunal for war crimes and genocide, issued the arrest warrant in November for Netanyahu as well as for his former defense minister and Hamas’ military chief, accusing them of crimes against humanity in connection with the war in Gaza after the Hamas attack against Israel on Oct. 7, 2023.

Tens of thousands of Palestinians, many of them children, have been killed during the Israeli military’s response, which it resumed last month while shattering a ceasefire.

The warrants said there was reason to believe Netanyahu and former Defense Minister Yoav Gallant used “starvation as a method of warfare” by restricting humanitarian aid to Gaza, and intentionally targeted civilians in Israel’s campaign against Hamas — charges that Israeli officials deny.

The ICC has criticized Hungary's decision to defy its warrant for Netanyahu. The court's spokesperson, Fadi El Abdallah, said it's not for parties to the ICC “to unilaterally determine the soundness of the Court’s legal decisions.”

Participating states have an obligation to enforce the court’s decisions, El Ebdallah told The Associated Press in an email, and may consult with the court if they disagree with its rulings.

Orbán, regarded by critics as the EU's most intransigent spoiler in the bloc's decision-making, is seen as using some of the tactics that Netanyahu has been accused of employing in Israel: subjugation of the judiciary, antagonism toward the EU and cracking down on civil society and human rights groups.

The two leaders are practitioners of “illiberal” governance — a term adopted by Orbán rejecting the tenets of liberal democracy — and are allied with U.S. President Donald Trump, who signed an executive order in February imposing sanctions on the ICC over its investigations of Israel.

For Netanyahu, the visit to Hungary offers another opportunity to defy the ICC warrant and project an image of statesmanship while he faces mounting protests at home.

He has faced mass protests by Israelis who fear his decision to resume the war endangers the lives of the remaining hostages held by Hamas. He has also sparked anger by trying to fire or sideline top officials in what critics view as a power grab and an attack on state institutions.

Along with resuming its offensive in Gaza last month, Israel halted all imports of food, fuel and humanitarian aid to the territory’s 2 million Palestinians to pressure Hamas to release more hostages and accept proposed changes to the truce agreement.

Erika Guevara-Rosas, the head of global research, advocacy and policy of human rights group Amnesty International, said in a statement that Hungary must arrest Netanyahu if he travels there and hand him over to the ICC.

“Hungary’s invitation shows contempt for international law and confirms that alleged war criminals wanted by the ICC are welcome on the streets of a European Union member state,” Guevara-Rosas said.

Liz Evenson, international justice director at Human Rights Watch, said Hungary allowing Netanyahu's visit "would be Orban’s latest assault on the rule of law, adding to the country’s dismal record on rights.”

In March 2023, the ICC issued an arrest warrant for Russian President Vladimir Putin for war crimes, accusing him of responsibility for the abductions of children from Ukraine. Putin visited Mongolia, which is also a member of the ICC, in September last year, but he wasn't arrested. Last year, judges found that the country failed to uphold its legal obligations and referred the matter to the court’s oversight body.

Associated Press writers Molly Quell in Amsterdam and Joseph Krauss contributed to this report.

FILE - Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban, left, and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu attend a press conference after their meeting in Jerusalem, Tuesday, Feb. 19, 2019. (AP Photo/Ariel Schalit, Pool, File)

FILE - Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban, left, and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu attend a press conference after their meeting in Jerusalem, Tuesday, Feb. 19, 2019. (AP Photo/Ariel Schalit, Pool, File)

FILE - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, left, and his Hungarian counterpart Viktor Orban chat as they attend a signing ceremony in the Parliament building in Budapest, Hungary, Tuesday, July 18, 2017. (Balazs Mohai/MTI via AP, File)

FILE - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, left, and his Hungarian counterpart Viktor Orban chat as they attend a signing ceremony in the Parliament building in Budapest, Hungary, Tuesday, July 18, 2017. (Balazs Mohai/MTI via AP, File)

Recommended Articles
Hot · Posts