Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Harris's running mate pick aims to bolster Democratic base: expert

China

Video Player is loading.
Current Time 0:00
Duration -:-
Loaded: 0%
Stream Type LIVE
Remaining Time 0:00
Â
1x
    • Chapters
    • descriptions off, selected
    • captions off, selected
      China

      China

      Harris's running mate pick aims to bolster Democratic base: expert

      2024-08-08 01:41 Last Updated At:02:17

      U.S. Vice President Kamala Harris's decision to choose a running mate who appeals to her progressive base diverges from former President Donald Trump's approach of picking a vice presidential candidate similarly situated with him on the political spectrum, according to analysis from an international scholar at a Chinese university.

      Harris, who has won enough delegate votes to secure the Democratic presidential nomination, unveiled Minnesota Governor Tim Walz as her vice-presidential running mate on Tuesday.

      Walz, 60, previously served as a U.S. House representative. He was elected governor of Minnesota in 2018 and re-elected in 2022.

      In a China Global Television Network (CGTN) online interview on Wednesday, Josef Gregory Mahoney, professor of politics and international relations at East China Normal University, analyzed the mainstream strategies in selecting a running mate and said Harris' decision aims at winning more support of the Democratic base rather than making up for weaknesses or wining key votes.

      "There are generally three strategies one can employ when choosing a VP running mate. First, choose someone who helps you win some key electoral college votes. Second, choose someone who appeals to your base while and you can run towards the center. Or third, choose someone more or less just like you who compensates for whatever you might be missing. Trump used the last strategy when he chose Vance. As you suggest, many thought Harris might choose the first strategy. Instead, she chose the second strategy. With Tim Walz, she has a folksy midwestern progressive who should be well-liked by the Democratic base, which was crumbling with Biden. She will still be able to tout Shapiro as a possible cabinet pick and have him campaign for her," he said.

      While a choice of running mate can come with an array of benefits for a presidential candidate, Mahoney stressed that every pick carries risk.

      "The VP choice plays into the broader campaign strategy, but the first priority is to bring something to the table, be it votes, a regional connection, an ideological value, a style, youth if the presidential candidate is old or age and the appearance of wisdom if the candidate is young. Or to add gender or racial difference and so on. The fact is great VP picks can risk overshadowing their running mates, as happened when Dukakis chose Bentsen in 1988. And terrible ones can undermine the credibility of the campaign, as happened when McCain chose Palin in 2008. So, there is an odd balancing act. But what's interesting is that VP candidates are in the mix because they have the own ambition and ego, but they have to subordinate this to such an extent that they often become caricatures," said the scholar.

      "A good VP will be an effective proxy, instill confidence that he or she will be a good replacement should the president die or become incapacitated, be a good debater, and amplify those aspects of the campaign that the presidential candidate supports, but can't afford to over-emphasize. He or she will also able to leverage some fund-raising support and provide some political advice wisdom while shouldering a lot of the campaigning, letting the presidential candidate rest a bit or attend to other matters or parts of the campaign," he said.

      Harris's running mate pick aims to bolster Democratic base: expert

      Harris's running mate pick aims to bolster Democratic base: expert

      Next Article

      Palestinian death toll in Gaza rises to 50,423

      2025-04-03 10:47 Last Updated At:11:07

      The Palestinian death toll in Gaza Strip has risen to 50,423, with 114,638 injured, after nearly 18 months of Israeli military operations, Gaza health authorities said Wednesday.

      Local medical sources noted that since the Israeli army resumed its operations on March 18, the number of fatalities has reached 1,066, while 2,597 have been injured.

      In the past 24 hours alone, hospitals in Gaza received 24 fatalities and 55 injured. Many bodies remain trapped beneath the rubble, with ambulances and civil defense personnel struggling to reach them.

      According to a report by the Times of Israel, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) announced on Wednesday that it had carried out strikes on over 50 sites belonging to Hamas and other militant groups, ahead of a major ground push into the southern Gaza Strip. During the day, dozens more strikes were carried out across Gaza.

      In addition, the IDF issued a statement on Wednesday night that it had intercepted two rockets launched from northern Gaza. Air raid sirens were activated in areas near the Gaza Strip, and local media said that there are no reports of injuries or damage in the attack. The Al-Quds Brigades, the armed wing of Palestinian Islamic Jihad, claimed responsibility for the attack.

      According to Palestinian media reports on Wednesday, the Israeli air force targeted a medical facility operated by the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) in the Jabalia refugee camp in northern Gaza. The head of Gaza-based health authorities reported on the same day that 19 people were killed in the attack.

      The Israeli military stated on Wednesday that it had struck a Hamas command center in Jabalia.

      On Wednesday night, Al Jazeera quoted relevant sources as saying that Hamas officials had received Israel's response to the ceasefire proposal, which had been put forward by mediators and accepted by Hamas. Based on this response, they concluded that Israel had rejected the proposal.

      Palestinian death toll in Gaza rises to 50,423

      Palestinian death toll in Gaza rises to 50,423

      Recommended Articles
      Hot · Posts