Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Macao holds dazzling int'l fireworks display contest

China

Video Player is loading.
Current Time 0:00
Duration -:-
Loaded: 0%
Stream Type LIVE
Remaining Time 0:00
Â
1x
    • Chapters
    • descriptions off, selected
    • captions off, selected
      China

      China

      Macao holds dazzling int'l fireworks display contest

      2024-09-15 16:06 Last Updated At:16:47

      The 32nd Macao International Fireworks Display Contest commenced on Saturday night to celebrate the Mid-Autumn Festival and the upcoming National Day.

      The contest is sponsored by the Macao Government Tourism Office. Canadian and Thai teams presented the first two feasts for the audience, and Russian and French fireworks shows were scheduled for Sunday.

      Landmarks in Macao, including the Ruins of St. Paul's and the Senado Square, have been adorned with beautifully designed lighting decorations, creating a vibrant festive atmosphere.

      Accompanied by light music, spectacular fireworks lighted up the night sky above the water near the Macao Tower, captivating both locals and visitors alike.

      According to the organizer, teams from the Chinese mainland, Russia, France, Spain and Portugal will successively put on shows on Sunday, Sept 21 and on Oct 1 and 6. Each night of these days will feature two shows, with each lasting for around 18 minutes.

      "This year marks the 75th founding anniversary of our People's Republic of China and the 25th anniversary of Macao's return to the motherland, which is what we call the year of two grand celebrations. Therefore, this 32nd edition of the fireworks show carries special significance. We have invited teams from 10 countries to participate in this event. We have put up the Fireworks Carnival every year, and this year we will continue to hold it, placing it at one of the most prime viewing spots. We also hope to boost our night economy through such an initiative," said Ricky Hoi, acting director of the Macao Government Tourism Office.

      "I am very excited. It's been ages since I watched fireworks live, and they are truly amazing," said Ms. Cheung, a Macao citizen.

      "I've brought my family here to enjoy the festivities and the fireworks. With the National Day and the 25th anniversary of Macao's return to the mainland approaching, I wish the country and Macao a brighter future," said Ms. Wong, another Macao citizen.

      The Mid-Autumn Festival is a traditional Chinese festival celebrated on the night when the moon reaches its fullest and brightest on the 15th day of the eighth month on the lunar calendar. This year, the day falls on Sept 17.

      China's National Day falls on Oct 1.

      Macao holds dazzling int'l fireworks display contest

      Macao holds dazzling int'l fireworks display contest

      Next Article

      Trump imposes "reciprocal tariffs" amid widespread opposition

      2025-04-03 05:37 Last Updated At:09:07

      Amid widespread opposition, U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday signed two executive orders on the so-called "reciprocal tariffs," imposing a 10-percent "minimum baseline tariff" and higher rates on certain trading partners.

      Trump announced these tariffs in a speech in the White House Rose Garden, during which he also said a 25-percent tariff on cars and car parts imported into the U.S. will take effect on Thursday.

      Many trading partners of the U.S. have previously expressed their opposition, saying that they will take countermeasures in response.

      On Wednesday, President of the European Council Antonio Costa said the European Union must react in a "firm but smart manner" to the reciprocal tariffs.

      "This is truly a major economic mistake for the United States and also for Europe and the entire world," Costa said.

      Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni said the introduction of new U.S. tariffs would have heavy repercussions for Italian producers, adding that she did not rule out "adequate responses" to defend Italian products.

      While stating that the UK is engaging in constructive talks to reach a broader economic prosperity deal with the U.S., British Prime Minister Keir Starmer also said that the country is prepared for all possible scenarios and will not rule out any possibilities

      Trump imposes "reciprocal tariffs" amid widespread opposition

      Trump imposes "reciprocal tariffs" amid widespread opposition

      Trump imposes "reciprocal tariffs" amid widespread opposition

      Trump imposes "reciprocal tariffs" amid widespread opposition

      Recommended Articles
      Hot · Posts