Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Flower sales boom in Beijing as New Year holiday season approaches

China

Video Player is loading.
Current Time 0:00
Duration -:-
Loaded: 0%
Stream Type LIVE
Remaining Time 0:00
Â
1x
    • Chapters
    • descriptions off, selected
    • captions off, selected
      China

      China

      Flower sales boom in Beijing as New Year holiday season approaches

      2024-12-30 17:42 Last Updated At:21:57

      As China gears up for a string of festive celebrations in the run-up to the traditional Spring Festival holiday in late January and early February, the vibrant explosion of flower sales has turned the market into a colorful frenzy.

      Waves of consumers are flocking to a flower market in Shunyi District of Beijing to purchase bougainvillea, a plant typically found in southern China but increasingly popular among consumers in the north.

      Local flower merchants have successfully domesticated bougainvillea for northern climates, making it more cold-resistant and easier to maintain.

      "This year, we've clearly noticed an increase in customer preference for bougainvillea, especially from those who come specifically to buy our bougainvillea," said Zhang Chao, a sales manager at the flower market.

      Recently, more and more customers have been coming to the Beijing Flower Trading Center in Fengtai District to purchase Rhododendron lapponicum. "The natural blooming period of Rhododendron lapponicum is from March to May in spring. However, to meet the demand during the Spring Festival shopping season, we've used some technical methods to induce bud growth in December, ensuring that the flowers bloom during the festival. This year, we have about 30,000 pots of Rhododendron lapponicum for sale, including more than 20 varieties," said Wang Jiahuan, a staff member at the Beijing Flower Trading Center.

      This distribution center, covering an area of 30,000 square meters, primarily serves flower shop owners and individual consumers in Beijing, Tianjin Municipality, Hebei Province, and surrounding areas. Currently, the center holds around one million pots of flowers, which is approximately 20 percent more than the same period last year.

      "When this year's New Year flowers were first delivered to our market, they sold out quickly. Customers are usually keen to purchase flowers from the New Year's Day (Jan. 1) to the Lantern Festival (that falls on Feb. 12 this year). Our daily sales range from 30,000 to 50,000 pots," said Yun Mingyue, deputy manager of the Beijing Shunyi International Flower Port.

      At the Beijing Shunyi International Flower Port, many merchants have introduced succulent plants, air plants, and other types of flowering plants as their main products. These plants are popular among young people due to their low maintenance requirements and minimal need for watering. Additionally, simulation flowers have gained favor for their realistic appearance, long-lasting appeal, and being easy to manage.

      Flower sales boom in Beijing as New Year holiday season approaches

      Flower sales boom in Beijing as New Year holiday season approaches

      Next Article

      Palestinian death toll in Gaza rises to 50,423

      2025-04-03 10:47 Last Updated At:11:07

      The Palestinian death toll in Gaza Strip has risen to 50,423, with 114,638 injured, after nearly 18 months of Israeli military operations, Gaza health authorities said Wednesday.

      Local medical sources noted that since the Israeli army resumed its operations on March 18, the number of fatalities has reached 1,066, while 2,597 have been injured.

      In the past 24 hours alone, hospitals in Gaza received 24 fatalities and 55 injured. Many bodies remain trapped beneath the rubble, with ambulances and civil defense personnel struggling to reach them.

      According to a report by the Times of Israel, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) announced on Wednesday that it had carried out strikes on over 50 sites belonging to Hamas and other militant groups, ahead of a major ground push into the southern Gaza Strip. During the day, dozens more strikes were carried out across Gaza.

      In addition, the IDF issued a statement on Wednesday night that it had intercepted two rockets launched from northern Gaza. Air raid sirens were activated in areas near the Gaza Strip, and local media said that there are no reports of injuries or damage in the attack. The Al-Quds Brigades, the armed wing of Palestinian Islamic Jihad, claimed responsibility for the attack.

      According to Palestinian media reports on Wednesday, the Israeli air force targeted a medical facility operated by the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) in the Jabalia refugee camp in northern Gaza. The head of Gaza-based health authorities reported on the same day that 19 people were killed in the attack.

      The Israeli military stated on Wednesday that it had struck a Hamas command center in Jabalia.

      On Wednesday night, Al Jazeera quoted relevant sources as saying that Hamas officials had received Israel's response to the ceasefire proposal, which had been put forward by mediators and accepted by Hamas. Based on this response, they concluded that Israel had rejected the proposal.

      Palestinian death toll in Gaza rises to 50,423

      Palestinian death toll in Gaza rises to 50,423

      Recommended Articles
      Hot · Posts