Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Aid efforts to Gaza face serious obstacles amid ongoing conflict

China

Video Player is loading.
Current Time 0:00
Duration -:-
Loaded: 0%
Stream Type LIVE
Remaining Time 0:00
Â
1x
    • Chapters
    • descriptions off, selected
    • captions off, selected
      China

      China

      Aid efforts to Gaza face serious obstacles amid ongoing conflict

      2024-12-30 22:17 Last Updated At:12-31 16:07

      Staff members from the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) have called for better access to be granted to aid workers in Gaza after their mission to deliver essential supplies to the remnants of the Indonesian Hospital and evacuate patients to Gaza City on Sunday was met with severe challenges, including the arrest of patients who were set to be evacuated.

      Jonathan Whittall, Interim Head of the OCHA Office for the Occupied Palestinian Territories (OCHA OPT), said that the joint mission which was carried out alongside the World Health Organization (WHO) managed to reach Jabalya in the north of Gaza and brought some supplies, but stressed the Indonesian hospital is not functioning properly due to the ongoing conflict.

      According to Whittall, the joint mission had been trying to reach the north of Gaza 140 times in the last two months, but has been denied on every occasion. People here have no food, no water, and poor sanitation, he added.

      He also expressed deep concern about the dire situation in Gaza.

      "We've been trying to reach the north of Gaza 140 times in the last two months. Every time it has been denied. People here have no food, no water, sanitation, nothing. They need us to be able to reach them. We need to be able to reach people wherever they are. That's not negotiable. We need to be able to provide the basics for survival: food, water, healthcare. These atrocities need to end," he said.

      Sara Al-Saqqa, a staff member from OCHA Gaza, also spoke out about the recurring barriers which are preventing humanitarian relief being provided.

      "We should be able to deliver food and supplies. We should be able to rehabilitate hospitals and support the healthcare system. This is a pattern that we have been seeing over and over for the past 14 months. Areas become besieged with no access to humanitarian aid, healthcare, food, or medical supplies. This is not acceptable," she said.

      Al-Saqqa detailed the specific areas in northern Gaza that had remained inaccessible, including Beit Lahia, Beit Hanoun, and Jabalya, despite repeated efforts to deliver aid.

      "We have been trying for the past three months to come and reach the north, and we couldn't. We have been denied one time after another," she said.

      As the joint mission's failure to fully deliver aid and evacuate patients has articulated the worsening humanitarian crisis in Gaza, as access to essential supplies and healthcare continues to be blocked in several parts of the region.

      The international community has repeatedly called for unrestricted access for humanitarian organizations, but ongoing violence and political barriers have made it nearly impossible to address the growing needs of civilians in Gaza.

      As the conflict persists, the urgent need for humanitarian access remains a critical issue for both local and international aid organizations. The situation continues to deteriorate, leaving millions of civilians trapped without the basic necessities for survival.

      Aid efforts to Gaza face serious obstacles amid ongoing conflict

      Aid efforts to Gaza face serious obstacles amid ongoing conflict

      Aid efforts to Gaza face serious obstacles amid ongoing conflict

      Aid efforts to Gaza face serious obstacles amid ongoing conflict

      Next Article

      Palestinian death toll in Gaza rises to 50,423

      2025-04-03 10:47 Last Updated At:11:07

      The Palestinian death toll in Gaza Strip has risen to 50,423, with 114,638 injured, after nearly 18 months of Israeli military operations, Gaza health authorities said Wednesday.

      Local medical sources noted that since the Israeli army resumed its operations on March 18, the number of fatalities has reached 1,066, while 2,597 have been injured.

      In the past 24 hours alone, hospitals in Gaza received 24 fatalities and 55 injured. Many bodies remain trapped beneath the rubble, with ambulances and civil defense personnel struggling to reach them.

      According to a report by the Times of Israel, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) announced on Wednesday that it had carried out strikes on over 50 sites belonging to Hamas and other militant groups, ahead of a major ground push into the southern Gaza Strip. During the day, dozens more strikes were carried out across Gaza.

      In addition, the IDF issued a statement on Wednesday night that it had intercepted two rockets launched from northern Gaza. Air raid sirens were activated in areas near the Gaza Strip, and local media said that there are no reports of injuries or damage in the attack. The Al-Quds Brigades, the armed wing of Palestinian Islamic Jihad, claimed responsibility for the attack.

      According to Palestinian media reports on Wednesday, the Israeli air force targeted a medical facility operated by the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) in the Jabalia refugee camp in northern Gaza. The head of Gaza-based health authorities reported on the same day that 19 people were killed in the attack.

      The Israeli military stated on Wednesday that it had struck a Hamas command center in Jabalia.

      On Wednesday night, Al Jazeera quoted relevant sources as saying that Hamas officials had received Israel's response to the ceasefire proposal, which had been put forward by mediators and accepted by Hamas. Based on this response, they concluded that Israel had rejected the proposal.

      Palestinian death toll in Gaza rises to 50,423

      Palestinian death toll in Gaza rises to 50,423

      Recommended Articles
      Hot · Posts