The second season of "Encountering Civilizations," a cultural program by China Media Group (CMG), premiered on CCTV-4 at 19:30 on Friday, tracing the development of Chinese civilization and its global impact.
Starting from Jan 11, 2025, the show will air every Saturday at the same time.
This season, themed "exchanges and mutual learning of civilizations," features 12 episodes covering topics like Chinese jade culture, ceramics, lacquerware, silk, traditional Chinese medicine, the Spring Festival, and the Tao Te Ching - the work of Laozi, a Chinese sage who founded the Taoism school of philosophical thought over 2,500 years ago.
Through dialogs between experts from China and abroad, field visits and creative performances, the program traces the evolution of Chinese civilization, and illustrates its positive impact on the world so as to expand the global presence and influence of Chinese culture.
Nearly 60 scholars and experts from across the globe will contribute their unique academic insights, helping viewers understand cultural exchanges and the mutual enrichment of civilizations.
The show also innovatively integrates AR technology to bring to life "objects of mutual learning" - cultural artifacts, traditional customs, philosophies, and practices that embody the rich values of civilizations.
In the premiere episode, Chinese and international guests explored ancient jade artifacts, illustrating how jade has witnessed the unfolding journey of Chinese civilization.
They also discussed the history of jade's global dissemination, its exquisite craftsmanship, and the aesthetic connections and contrasts between China and Western countries, taking viewers on a journey to deeply appreciate the charm of jade as a symbol of Chinese heritage.
2nd season of CMG program highlighting cultural exchanges premieres
The Palestinian death toll in Gaza Strip has risen to 50,423, with 114,638 injured, after nearly 18 months of Israeli military operations, Gaza health authorities said Wednesday.
Local medical sources noted that since the Israeli army resumed its operations on March 18, the number of fatalities has reached 1,066, while 2,597 have been injured.
In the past 24 hours alone, hospitals in Gaza received 24 fatalities and 55 injured. Many bodies remain trapped beneath the rubble, with ambulances and civil defense personnel struggling to reach them.
According to a report by the Times of Israel, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) announced on Wednesday that it had carried out strikes on over 50 sites belonging to Hamas and other militant groups, ahead of a major ground push into the southern Gaza Strip. During the day, dozens more strikes were carried out across Gaza.
In addition, the IDF issued a statement on Wednesday night that it had intercepted two rockets launched from northern Gaza. Air raid sirens were activated in areas near the Gaza Strip, and local media said that there are no reports of injuries or damage in the attack. The Al-Quds Brigades, the armed wing of Palestinian Islamic Jihad, claimed responsibility for the attack.
According to Palestinian media reports on Wednesday, the Israeli air force targeted a medical facility operated by the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) in the Jabalia refugee camp in northern Gaza. The head of Gaza-based health authorities reported on the same day that 19 people were killed in the attack.
The Israeli military stated on Wednesday that it had struck a Hamas command center in Jabalia.
On Wednesday night, Al Jazeera quoted relevant sources as saying that Hamas officials had received Israel's response to the ceasefire proposal, which had been put forward by mediators and accepted by Hamas. Based on this response, they concluded that Israel had rejected the proposal.
Palestinian death toll in Gaza rises to 50,423