The UN Security Council held an open meeting on the Syrian issue on Wednesday during which, Fu Cong, China's Permanent Representative to the United Nations, called on the international community to allow the Syrian people to decide their country's future based on their will.
Noting that the current situation in Syria is at a critical stage and faces significant challenges, Fu emphasized that the international community should strengthen solidarity and coordinated action to support and assist Syria in achieving stability and development.
China supports advancing a "Syrian-led and Syrian-owned" political process. The international community must genuinely respect Syria's right to pursue a development path suited to its national conditions, allowing the Syrian people to determine their country's future based on their will.
"China has long pursued a policy of friendship and cooperation with Syria, not interfering in Syria's internal affairs. We are willing to work with the international community to continue efforts to help Syria achieve a smooth transition and gradually embark on the path of peaceful development," said Fu.
Noting that the Golan Heights is internationally recognized as occupied Syrian territory, Fu said that China reaffirms that Syria's sovereignty, independence, unity, and territorial integrity must be respected, and the Security Council's resolutions on the Golan Heights must be implemented.
Fu also emphasized that, regardless of how the domestic situation in Syria evolves, the bottom line of zero tolerance for terrorism cannot be changed.
Syria's future should be determined by Syrian people: Chinese envoy
Syria's future should be determined by Syrian people: Chinese envoy
Syria's future should be determined by Syrian people: Chinese envoy
Syria's future should be determined by Syrian people: Chinese envoy
The Palestinian death toll in Gaza Strip has risen to 50,423, with 114,638 injured, after nearly 18 months of Israeli military operations, Gaza health authorities said Wednesday.
Local medical sources noted that since the Israeli army resumed its operations on March 18, the number of fatalities has reached 1,066, while 2,597 have been injured.
In the past 24 hours alone, hospitals in Gaza received 24 fatalities and 55 injured. Many bodies remain trapped beneath the rubble, with ambulances and civil defense personnel struggling to reach them.
According to a report by the Times of Israel, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) announced on Wednesday that it had carried out strikes on over 50 sites belonging to Hamas and other militant groups, ahead of a major ground push into the southern Gaza Strip. During the day, dozens more strikes were carried out across Gaza.
In addition, the IDF issued a statement on Wednesday night that it had intercepted two rockets launched from northern Gaza. Air raid sirens were activated in areas near the Gaza Strip, and local media said that there are no reports of injuries or damage in the attack. The Al-Quds Brigades, the armed wing of Palestinian Islamic Jihad, claimed responsibility for the attack.
According to Palestinian media reports on Wednesday, the Israeli air force targeted a medical facility operated by the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) in the Jabalia refugee camp in northern Gaza. The head of Gaza-based health authorities reported on the same day that 19 people were killed in the attack.
The Israeli military stated on Wednesday that it had struck a Hamas command center in Jabalia.
On Wednesday night, Al Jazeera quoted relevant sources as saying that Hamas officials had received Israel's response to the ceasefire proposal, which had been put forward by mediators and accepted by Hamas. Based on this response, they concluded that Israel had rejected the proposal.
Palestinian death toll in Gaza rises to 50,423