Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Resettlement, treatment efforts proceed smoothly in quake-hit Xizang

China

Video Player is loading.
Current Time 0:00
Duration -:-
Loaded: 0%
Stream Type LIVE
Remaining Time 0:00
Â
1x
    • Chapters
    • descriptions off, selected
    • captions off, selected
      China

      China

      Resettlement, treatment efforts proceed smoothly in quake-hit Xizang

      2025-01-10 04:17 Last Updated At:18:17

      The resettlement and medical treatment of people displaced or injured in a 6.8-magnitude earthquake which jolted Dingri County in southwest China's Xizang Autonomous Region on Tuesday morning are proceeding smoothly, said regional officials.

      The earthquake has claimed at least 126 lives, damaged 27,248 homes and impacted approximately 61,500 people to varying degrees, said Hao Tao, deputy director of the regional emergency management department, at a press conference on Thursday.

      A total of 224 resettlement sites have been established so far for 47,500 residents relocated from the quake-hit areas, with their basic living needs ensured, Hao noted.

      "Residents in the affected areas now have warm clothing, tents, bedding, heating, hot meals, and clean drinking water. Injured individuals have received prompt medical care," said Hao.

      Kelsang Yudron, director of the regional health commission, said that local hospitals had admitted 337 injured individuals by 09:00 on Thursday, with 246 discharged after treatment.

      "Currently, 91 people remain hospitalized, including 72 with minor injuries and 19 in serious condition. Medical efforts are transitioning from emergency response to standardized care," she said.

      The earthquake also caused the collapse of 3,612 houses, raising concerns about further structural damage in the affected areas. Li Xiuwu, director of the regional housing and urban-rural development department, said the powerful earthquake and its epicenter in a populated area had led to widespread destruction.

      "The collapsed buildings are mainly rural homes and self-built houses in urban areas. First, the earthquake had a high magnitude and strong intensity. The meizoseismal area at the earthquake's epicenter in Dingri County reached an intensity of IX with great destructiveness that exceeded local anti-seismic design standards for buildings. Second, the shallow-focus earthquake, with a focal depth of only 10 kilometers, are significantly destructive for surface structures. Third, the epicenter was close to towns and villages. Within five kilometers of the epicenter, there are seven villages, and the proximity to these areas led to extensive damage to buildings in both towns and villages," said Li.

      Resettlement, treatment efforts proceed smoothly in quake-hit Xizang

      Resettlement, treatment efforts proceed smoothly in quake-hit Xizang

      Resettlement, treatment efforts proceed smoothly in quake-hit Xizang

      Resettlement, treatment efforts proceed smoothly in quake-hit Xizang

      Resettlement, treatment efforts proceed smoothly in quake-hit Xizang

      Resettlement, treatment efforts proceed smoothly in quake-hit Xizang

      Next Article

      Palestinian death toll in Gaza rises to 50,423

      2025-04-03 10:47 Last Updated At:11:07

      The Palestinian death toll in Gaza Strip has risen to 50,423, with 114,638 injured, after nearly 18 months of Israeli military operations, Gaza health authorities said Wednesday.

      Local medical sources noted that since the Israeli army resumed its operations on March 18, the number of fatalities has reached 1,066, while 2,597 have been injured.

      In the past 24 hours alone, hospitals in Gaza received 24 fatalities and 55 injured. Many bodies remain trapped beneath the rubble, with ambulances and civil defense personnel struggling to reach them.

      According to a report by the Times of Israel, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) announced on Wednesday that it had carried out strikes on over 50 sites belonging to Hamas and other militant groups, ahead of a major ground push into the southern Gaza Strip. During the day, dozens more strikes were carried out across Gaza.

      In addition, the IDF issued a statement on Wednesday night that it had intercepted two rockets launched from northern Gaza. Air raid sirens were activated in areas near the Gaza Strip, and local media said that there are no reports of injuries or damage in the attack. The Al-Quds Brigades, the armed wing of Palestinian Islamic Jihad, claimed responsibility for the attack.

      According to Palestinian media reports on Wednesday, the Israeli air force targeted a medical facility operated by the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) in the Jabalia refugee camp in northern Gaza. The head of Gaza-based health authorities reported on the same day that 19 people were killed in the attack.

      The Israeli military stated on Wednesday that it had struck a Hamas command center in Jabalia.

      On Wednesday night, Al Jazeera quoted relevant sources as saying that Hamas officials had received Israel's response to the ceasefire proposal, which had been put forward by mediators and accepted by Hamas. Based on this response, they concluded that Israel had rejected the proposal.

      Palestinian death toll in Gaza rises to 50,423

      Palestinian death toll in Gaza rises to 50,423

      Recommended Articles
      Hot · Posts