Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Recent earthquakes across globe fall within normal range: expert

China

Video Player is loading.
Current Time 0:00
Duration -:-
Loaded: 0%
Stream Type LIVE
Remaining Time 0:00
Â
1x
    • Chapters
    • descriptions off, selected
    • captions off, selected
      China

      China

      Recent earthquakes across globe fall within normal range: expert

      2025-04-01 12:58 Last Updated At:19:27

      A Chinese expert has sought to allay fears after a spate of seismic events across the Asia-Pacific raised public concern over the frequency of earthquakes, noting the recent activity falls within the normal expected range.

      The recent weeks have seen a series of major earthquakes around the world, including the devastating 7.9-magnitude quake which struck Myanmar on Friday, killing over 2,000 people as search and rescue operations continue.

      However, Wang Yun, director of the Natural Disaster Early Warning Research Center at Sichuan University, said in a video interview with the China Global Television Network (CGTN), that there is nothing out of the ordinary about the frequency of these quakes.

      "The recent earthquakes, whether in Myanmar, Tonga, or parts of China like Xinjiang or Yunnan, all occurred in well-known seismic zones. These regions are generally expected to experience quakes, and even magnitude 7 or above events fall within the normal range. Statistically, the frequency and strength of earthquakes we've seen so far this year are consistent with previous years," said Wang.

      Wang said the reason why people perceive an increase in earthquake frequency recently is they are exposed to earthquake-related news especially when the devastating Myanmar earthquake have already caught their attentions.

      "Nowadays, people are more exposed to news of disasters, especially when a deadly quake like Myanmar's makes headlines. People's increased awareness also makes them more sensitive to seismic news," he said.

      According to Xu Xiwei, a professor from the Beijing-based China University of Geosciences, whether earthquakes are frequent or whether the earth has entered a seismically active period cannot be determined by human perception or the number of small to moderate earthquakes.

      The frequency of earthquakes should be assessed by comparing it to the normal average value of earthquake frequency and energy release in a specific region or globally over a certain period, Xu said in a phone interview with China Central Television (CCTV).

      Citing earthquake statistics since 1900, Xu noted that over the past century, the world has experienced an average of 150 earthquakes of magnitude six or above, 18 earthquakes of magnitude seven or above, and one earthquake of magnitude eight per year.

      From a statistical perspective, the 17 earthquakes of magnitude six or above recorded worldwide so far this year are insufficient to indicate that the world has entered a seismically active or frequent period, he added.

      Recent earthquakes across globe fall within normal range: expert

      Recent earthquakes across globe fall within normal range: expert

      Recent earthquakes across globe fall within normal range: expert

      Recent earthquakes across globe fall within normal range: expert

      Recent earthquakes across globe fall within normal range: expert

      Recent earthquakes across globe fall within normal range: expert

      Next Article

      Trump imposes "reciprocal tariffs" amid widespread opposition

      2025-04-03 05:37 Last Updated At:07:17

      Amid widespread opposition, U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday signed two executive orders on the so-called "reciprocal tariffs," imposing a 10-percent "minimum baseline tariff" and higher rates on certain trading partners.

      Trump announced these tariffs in a speech in the White House Rose Garden, during which he also said a 25-percent tariff on cars and car parts imported into the U.S. will take effect on Thursday.

      Many trading partners of the U.S. have previously expressed their opposition, saying that they will take countermeasures in response.

      On Wednesday, President of the European Council Antonio Costa said the European Union must react in a "firm but smart manner" to the reciprocal tariffs.

      "This is truly a major economic mistake for the United States and also for Europe and the entire world," Costa said.

      Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni said the introduction of new U.S. tariffs would have heavy repercussions for Italian producers, adding that she did not rule out "adequate responses" to defend Italian products.

      While stating that the UK is engaging in constructive talks to reach a broader economic prosperity deal with the U.S., British Prime Minister Keir Starmer also said that the country is prepared for all possible scenarios and will not rule out any possibilities

      Trump imposes "reciprocal tariffs" amid widespread opposition

      Trump imposes "reciprocal tariffs" amid widespread opposition

      Recommended Articles
      Hot · Posts