Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Chinese auto association, chamber of commerce express strong opposition to EU tariffs

China

Video Player is loading.
Current Time 0:00
Duration -:-
Loaded: 0%
Stream Type LIVE
Remaining Time 0:00
Â
1x
    • Chapters
    • descriptions off, selected
    • captions off, selected
      China

      China

      Chinese auto association, chamber of commerce express strong opposition to EU tariffs

      2024-06-13 16:02 Last Updated At:16:57

      The China Association of Automobile Manufacturers and the China Chamber of Commerce for Import and Export of Machinery and Electronic Products (CCCME) have expressed their strong opposition to the European Union's decision to increase tariffs on Chinese exports of electric vehicles.

      The European Commission -- the executive arm of the European Union (EU) -- on Wednesday revealed a list of protectionist duties it would levy on imports of battery electric vehicles (EVs) from China. The provisional duties envisaged by the Commission on the imports of EVs from China would range from 17.4 percent to 38.1 percent.

      In a statement posted on its official website, the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers said that it deeply regrets about the EU's decision, which it says is definitely unacceptable.

      The association said in the statement that since the EU launched the anti-subsidy investigation on Chinese EVs in October last year, the Chinese automobile industry has actively cooperated with the investigation, and the relevant enterprises have carefully provided the documentation in accordance with the requirements of the investigation authorities.

      However, during the investigation, the EU preset the results of the investigation, preferentially selected the sample enterprises, abused the investigation power, expanded the scope of the investigation at will, and seriously distorted the investigation results.

      In recent years, China's new energy vehicle industry has developed rapidly, attracting widespread global attention. The electric vehicle products are also favored by global consumers, including those from the European Union.

      China's EV exports not only provide local consumers with a good consumption experience, but also make positive contributions to the local electric vehicle market cultivation and industrial development, it said.

      The association said that it hopes the European Commission will not deem the current phase of vehicle trade that is necessary for the development of the industry as a long-term threat, let alone politicize economic and trade issues, or abuse trade remedy measures. It urges the EU to avoid damaging and distorting the global automotive industry chain and supply chain, including the EU, and maintain a fair, non-discriminatory and predictable market environment.

      It is hoped that the EU auto industry will think rationally and take active actions to jointly safeguard the current situation of reasonable competition and mutual benefit between the two sides, and jointly promote healthy and sustainable development of the global auto industry, according to the statement.

      On the same day, the CCCME also published a statement to deplore the EU's move.

      The CCCME statement said that the CCCME firmly expresses its opinions during the EU's investigation which has serious flaws in the process. Its investigation with obvious tendentiousness lacked impartiality, objectivity and transparency.

      The commission's investigation into the alleged threat and damage to the EU's auto industry is neither objective nor transparent, it added.

      The CCCME, as an industrial defense party in the investigation, will resolutely defend the legitimate rights and interests of China's electric vehicle enterprises by various means on the basis of the preliminary work, according to the statement.

      Chinese auto association, chamber of commerce express strong opposition to EU tariffs

      Chinese auto association, chamber of commerce express strong opposition to EU tariffs

      Next Article

      Nanjing sees spike in home listings after easing restrictions

      2025-04-03 15:57 Last Updated At:16:07

      Nanjing City in east China's Jiangsu Province has seen a surge in housing listings after easing commodity housing restrictions on Monday, as part of broader efforts to revitalize the local property market.

      Under the revised rule, commodity housing units can be listed for sale immediately after the owner obtains a real estate registration certificate. As a result, homeowners have rushed to put their properties on the market.

      A local real estate agency has noted a surge in property listings entering the system. Though information such as price, area, and location is available currently, photos of housing details have yet to be taken and uploaded.

      "Basically, there are relatively more listings in districts like Jiangning, Qixia, and Pukou, while the number of listings in the downtown area is comparatively lower. Taxes and fees still apply; it's just that sales restrictions have been lifted," said Ye Xiaochao, a staff member from a housing agency in Nanjing City.

      According to data from a local real estate agency, the city saw 3,114 new listings on Monday, compared to the usual daily average of around 850.

      Industry experts believe that in the long run, lifting sales restrictions will enhance market liquidity and activity, contributing to more stable housing price expectations. At the same time, Nanjing has announced an expanded scope for housing provident funds, allowing eligible parents and children of homebuyers to apply their accounts toward financing a property purchase.

      This expanded policy for withdrawing housing provident funds to cover a home's down payment now includes the buyer's parents and children, extending eligibility beyond just the homebuyer and spouse.

      When purchasing a property, priority is given to withdrawing funds from the accounts of the buyer and spouse. If the combined balances in both accounts are insufficient, the buyer's parents' or children's account balances can then be utilized.

      Nanjing sees spike in home listings after easing restrictions

      Nanjing sees spike in home listings after easing restrictions

      Recommended Articles
      Hot · Posts