Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Google illegally maintains monopoly over internet search, judge rules

News

Google illegally maintains monopoly over internet search, judge rules
News

News

Google illegally maintains monopoly over internet search, judge rules

2024-08-06 07:38 Last Updated At:07:40

WASHINGTON (AP) — A judge on Monday ruled that Google's ubiquitous search engine has been illegally exploiting its dominance to squash competition and stifle innovation, a seismic decision that could shake up the internet and hobble one of the world's best-known companies.

The highly anticipated decision issued by U.S. District Judge Amit Mehta comes nearly a year after the start of a trial pitting the U.S. Justice Department against Google in the country's biggest antitrust showdown in a quarter century.

After reviewing reams of evidence that included testimony from top executives at Google, Microsoft and Apple during last year's 10-week trial, Mehta issued his potentially market-shifting decision three months after the two sides presented their closing arguments in early May.

“After having carefully considered and weighed the witness testimony and evidence, the court reaches the following conclusion: Google is a monopolist, and it has acted as one to maintain its monopoly," Mehta wrote in his 277-page ruling. He said Google’s dominance in the search market is evidence of its monopoly.

Google “enjoys an 89.2% share of the market for general search services, which increases to 94.9% on mobile devices,” the ruling said.

It represents a major setback for Google and its parent, Alphabet Inc., which had steadfastly argued that its popularity stemmed from consumers' overwhelming desire to use a search engine so good at what it does that it has become synonymous with looking things up online. Google's search engine processes an estimated 8.5 billion queries per day worldwide, nearly doubling its daily volume from 12 years ago, according to a recent study released by the investment firm BOND.

Kent Walker, Google’s president of global affairs, said the company intends to appeal Mehta’s findings.

“This decision recognizes that Google offers the best search engine, but concludes that we shouldn’t be allowed to make it easily available,” Walker said.

For now, the decision vindicates antitrust regulators at the Justice Department, which filed its lawsuit nearly four years ago while Donald Trump was still president, and has been escalating it efforts to rein in Big Tech’s power during President Joe Biden’s administration.

“This victory against Google is an historic win for the American people,” said Attorney General Merrick Garland. “No company — no matter how large or influential — is above the law. The Justice Department will continue to vigorously enforce our antitrust laws.”

The case depicted Google as a technological bully that methodically has thwarted competition to protect a search engine that has become the centerpiece of a digital advertising machine that generated nearly $240 billion in revenue last year. Justice Department lawyers argued that Google's monopoly enabled it to charge advertisers artificially high prices while also enjoying the luxury of not having to invest more time and money into improving the quality of its search engine — a lax approach that hurt consumers.

Mehta’s ruling focused on the billions of dollars Google spends every year to install its search engine as the default option on new cellphones and tech gadgets. In 2021 alone, Google spent more than $26 billion to lock in those default agreements, Mehta said in his ruling.

Google ridiculed those allegations, noting that consumers have historically changed search engines when they become disillusioned with the results they were getting. For instance, Yahoo was the most popular search engine during the 1990s before Google came along.

Mehta said the evidence at trial showed the importance of the default settings. He noted that Microsoft's Bing search engine has 80% share of the search market on the Microsoft Edge browser. The judge said that shows other search engines can be successful if Google is not locked in as the predetermined default option.

Still, Mehta credited the quality of Google's product as an important part of its dominance, as well, saying flatly that "Google is widely recognized as the best (general search engine) available in the United States.”

The Consumer Choice Center, a lobbying group that has fought other attempts to rein in businesses, decried Mehta’s decision as a step in the wrong direction. “The United States is drifting toward the anti-tech posture of the European Union, a part of the world that makes almost nothing and penalizes successful American companies for their popularity,” said Yael Ossowski, the center’s deputy director.

Mehta's conclusion that Google has been running an illegal monopoly sets up another legal phase to determine what sorts of changes or penalties should be imposed to reverse the damage done and restore a more competitive landscape. He scheduled a Sept. 6 hearing to begin setting the stage for the next phase.

The potential outcome could result in a wide-ranging order requiring Google to dismantle some of the pillars of its internet empire, or preventing it from paying to ensure its search engine automatically answers queries on the iPhone and other devices. Or, the judge could conclude only modest changes are required to level the playing field.

“Google’s loss in its search antitrust trial could be a huge deal — depending on the remedy,” said Emarketer senior analyst Evelyn Mitchell-Wolf.

Regardless, she added, a drawn-out appeals process will delay any immediate effects for both consumers and advertisers.

The appeals process could take as long as five years, predicted George Hay, a law professor at Cornell University who was the chief economist for the Justice Department’s antitrust division for most of the 1970s. That lengthy process will enable Google to fend off the likelihood of Mehta banning default search agreements, Hay said, but it probably won’t shield the company from class-action lawsuits citing the judge’s findings that advertisers were gouged with monopolistic pricing.

If there is a significant shakeup, it could turn out to be a coup for Microsoft, whose own power was undermined during the late 1990s when the Justice Department targeted the software maker in an antitrust lawsuit accusing it of abusing the dominance of its Windows operating system on personal computers to lock out competition.

That Microsoft case mirrored the one brought against Google in several ways and now the result could also echo similarly. Just as Microsoft's bruising antitrust battle created distractions and obstacles that opened up more opportunities for Google after its 1998 inception, the decision against Google could be a boon for Microsoft, which already has a market value of more than $3 trillion. At one time, Alphabet was worth more than Microsoft, but now trails its rival, with a market value of about $2 trillion.

If Mehta decides to limit or ban Google’s default search deals, it could squeeze Apple’s profits, too. Although parts of his decision were redacted to protect confidential business information, Mehta noted that Google paid Apple an estimated $20 billion in 2022, doubling from 2020. The judge also noted Apple has periodically considered building its own search technology, but backed off that after a 2018 analysis estimated the company would lose more than $12 billion in revenue during the first five years after a break-up with Google.

Google’s payments have helped Apple’s steadily growing services division, which generated $85 billion in revenue during the company’s last fiscal year. Apple didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

The Justice Department’s antitrust division has recently taken on some of the biggest companies in the world. It sued Apple in March and in May announced a sweeping lawsuit against Ticketmaster and its owner, Live Nation Entertainment. Antitrust enforcers have also opened investigations into the roles Microsoft, Nvidia and OpenAI have played in the artificial intelligence boom.

The Biden administration has won some big cases, including blocking mergers of some of the world’s biggest publishers as well as JetBlue Airways and Spirit Airlines. It’s also had some notable setbacks, including in the sugar and healthcare industries.

Google faces several other legal threats both in the U.S. and abroad. In September, a federal trial is scheduled to begin in Virginia over the Justice Department’s allegations that Google’s advertising technology constitutes an illegal monopoly.

——

Liedtke reported from San Ramon, California. Associated Press writers Alanna Durkin Richer and Barbara Ortutay contributed to this report.

FILE - Various Google logos are displayed on a Google search, Monday, Sept. 11, 2023, in New York. U.S. District Judge Amit Mehta ruled Monday, Aug. 5, 2024, that Google's ubiquitous search engine has been illegally exploiting its dominance to squash competition and stifle innovation in a seismic decision that could shake up the internet and hobble one of the world's best-known companies. (AP Photo/Richard Drew, File)

FILE - Various Google logos are displayed on a Google search, Monday, Sept. 11, 2023, in New York. U.S. District Judge Amit Mehta ruled Monday, Aug. 5, 2024, that Google's ubiquitous search engine has been illegally exploiting its dominance to squash competition and stifle innovation in a seismic decision that could shake up the internet and hobble one of the world's best-known companies. (AP Photo/Richard Drew, File)

Next Article

The NBA's playoff chase enters its final days. Here's a look at what's happening

2025-04-04 23:05 Last Updated At:23:10

It’s playoff-positioning time in the NBA.

Going into Friday, there are 83 games left in the season. The 10 Eastern Conference postseason teams are set; Cleveland, Boston, New York and Indiana are in the playoffs, Detroit and Milwaukee are on the brink of joining them, while Orlando and Atlanta still have a tiny bit of hope of escaping the play-in tournament. Miami and Chicago have clinched play-in spots.

In the Western Conference, Oklahoma City is the No. 1 seed and Houston is in the playoffs. Denver, the Los Angeles Lakers, Golden State and Memphis enter Friday holding playoff spots, with Minnesota and the Los Angeles Clippers chasing them and trying to stay out of the play-in. Dallas and Sacramento are fighting for play-in berths, with Phoenix, Portland and San Antonio still alive for those as well.

Add it up, and 23 of the 30 teams are still playing for something other than lottery odds with just over a week to go in the regular season.

Sacramento at Charlotte — The Kings would be assured of staying at least one game ahead of Phoenix for the last play-in spot with a win.

Utah at Indiana — Pacers can move closer to that No. 4 seed and home-court in Round 1.

Phoenix at Boston — The Suns will try to snap a four-game slide and it’s a big game for their play-in hopes.

Detroit at Toronto — The Pistons — an amazing story — get into the playoffs with a win.

Portland at Chicago — Almost a must-win for Blazers, big East play-in seed implications for Bulls.

Oklahoma City at Houston — Top two teams in the West standings.

Cleveland at San Antonio — Cavaliers on the brink of clinching No. 1 in the East.

Denver at Golden State — The winner takes a big step toward home-court in Round 1, and this is a possible Round 1 preview as well.

New Orleans at L.A. Lakers — A win ensures the Lakers finish the night no worse than No. 4 in the West and keep home-court positioning for now.

Dallas at L.A. Clippers — Mavericks trying to keep their edge in the race for No. 9 spot, Clippers need a win to help their quest of avoiding play-in.

NBA TV has a doubleheader Friday: Phoenix at Boston (7:30 p.m.) and Denver at Golden State (10 p.m.).

Saturday's Memphis-Detroit game is also on NBA TV.

Oklahoma City (+175) is favored to win the NBA title, according to BetMGM Sportsbook, followed by Boston (+190), Cleveland (+500), then Denver and the Lakers (both +1400) and Golden State (+1600).

April 11 — All 30 NBA teams play.

April 12 — No games.

April 13 — All 30 NBA teams play, end of regular season.

April 15 — The No. 7 and No. 8 finishers in both conferences play to start the play-in tournament. Winners are the No. 7 seed for the playoffs; losers will host play-in elimination games on April 18.

April 16 — The No. 9 and No. 10 finishers in both conferences play. Winners move on to April 18; losers are finished for the season.

April 18 — The April 15 game losers play host to the April 16 game winners. Winners are the No. 8 seed for the playoffs; losers are finished for the season.

April 19 — NBA playoffs begin.

— Oklahoma City’s Shai Gilgeous-Alexander has 69 consecutive 20-point games, something only Wilt Chamberlain (who twice had 80-game single-season streaks), Oscar Robertson (who had a 76-game single-season streak) and Michael Jordan (who had a 69-game single-season streak) have done in the same season. OKC plays Friday at Houston.

— The league record for 3-pointers made in a season is on pace to fall on Sunday. There have been 31,017 made 3s so far this season; the record is 31,579, set last season.

— Boston (1,356) is seven 3-pointers away from matching the single-season team record, set two years ago by Golden State. The Celtics are on pace to break that mark Friday at home against Phoenix.

— For the first time, the NBA could have three players make 300 3-pointers in a season. Minnesota's Anthony Edwards has 297, Detroit’s Malik Beasley has 295 and Golden State’s Stephen Curry has 286.

The Thunder went 29-1 against the Eastern Conference this season. That's the best record one team has ever had against the opposite conference.

It doesn't include OKC's loss to Milwaukee in the NBA Cup championship game. But the Thunder against-the-other-conference record would still be the best in NBA history even if that game in Las Vegas was factored into the standings.

Three West teams — 2015-16 Golden State, 2006-07 Dallas and 1999-2000 Lakers — went 27-3 (.900) against the East. The 1995-96 and 1996-97 Chicago Bulls both had 25-3 (.893) marks against the West.

The Thunder’s 29-1 mark is a .967 percentage. At 29-2, if that NBA Cup game counted, it’d still be .935.

AP NBA: https://apnews.com/nba

Detroit Pistons guard Malik Beasley claps after a shot clock violation against the Minnesota Timberwolves during the first half of an NBA basketball game, Sunday, March 30, 2025, in Minneapolis. (AP Photo/Abbie Parr)

Detroit Pistons guard Malik Beasley claps after a shot clock violation against the Minnesota Timberwolves during the first half of an NBA basketball game, Sunday, March 30, 2025, in Minneapolis. (AP Photo/Abbie Parr)

Los Angeles Lakers forward LeBron James (23) loses the ball as Houston Rockets forward Dillon Brooks (9) defends during the second half of an NBA basketball game in Los Angeles, Monday, March 31, 2025. (AP Photo/Kyusung Gong)

Los Angeles Lakers forward LeBron James (23) loses the ball as Houston Rockets forward Dillon Brooks (9) defends during the second half of an NBA basketball game in Los Angeles, Monday, March 31, 2025. (AP Photo/Kyusung Gong)

Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry (30) reacts in the second half of an NBA basketball game against the Memphis Grizzlies Tuesday, April 1, 2025, in Memphis, Tenn. (AP Photo/Brandon Dill)

Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry (30) reacts in the second half of an NBA basketball game against the Memphis Grizzlies Tuesday, April 1, 2025, in Memphis, Tenn. (AP Photo/Brandon Dill)

Oklahoma City Thunder guard Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, right, Detroit Pistons forward Tobias Harris, left, during the second half of an NBA basketball game, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Oklahoma City. (AP Photo/Kyle Phillips)

Oklahoma City Thunder guard Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, right, Detroit Pistons forward Tobias Harris, left, during the second half of an NBA basketball game, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Oklahoma City. (AP Photo/Kyle Phillips)

Recommended Articles
Hot · Posts