A batch of emergency relief supplies donated by the Chinese government arrived in Vanuatu's capital Port Vila on Thursday to aid in earthquake relief efforts in the Pacific island nation following last month's deadly disaster.
Totaling 35 tons, the supplies include tents, folding beds, solar lights, food, water purifiers and medical supplies.
A handover ceremony was held at the Port Vila International Airport soon after the arrival of the special aid flight on Thursday morning, which departed from the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen the previous day.
A 7.3-magnitude earthquake struck nearby Port Vila on Dec 17, killing at least 14 and injuring more than 200 people. Two Chinese nationals also lost their lives. The disaster caused widespread damage to buildings and triggered landslides, with tens of thousands of locals being affected.
Following the quake, the Chinese government has provided one million U.S. dollars in emergency assistance and sent four engineering experts to Vanuatu to support its disaster response and reconstruction efforts.
China sends emergency relief supplies to quake-hit Vanuatu
China sends emergency relief supplies to quake-hit Vanuatu
Amid widespread opposition, U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday signed two executive orders on the so-called "reciprocal tariffs," imposing a 10-percent "minimum baseline tariff" and higher rates on certain trading partners.
Trump announced these tariffs in a speech in the White House Rose Garden, during which he also said a 25-percent tariff on cars and car parts imported into the U.S. will take effect on Thursday.
Many trading partners of the U.S. have previously expressed their opposition, saying that they will take countermeasures in response.
On Wednesday, President of the European Council Antonio Costa said the European Union must react in a "firm but smart manner" to the reciprocal tariffs.
"This is truly a major economic mistake for the United States and also for Europe and the entire world," Costa said.
Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni said the introduction of new U.S. tariffs would have heavy repercussions for Italian producers, adding that she did not rule out "adequate responses" to defend Italian products.
While stating that the UK is engaging in constructive talks to reach a broader economic prosperity deal with the U.S., British Prime Minister Keir Starmer also said that the country is prepared for all possible scenarios and will not rule out any possibilities
Trump imposes "reciprocal tariffs" amid widespread opposition
Trump imposes "reciprocal tariffs" amid widespread opposition