MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — Defending champion Jannik Sinner and 10-time Australian Open winner Novak Djokovic have landed in opposite sides of the draw for the season’s first major, ruling out a replay of last year’s semifinal match.
Sinner upset Djokovic in the semifinals here last year before coming back to beat Daniil Medvedev in the final 3-6, 3-6, 6-4, 6-4, 6-3 for his first Grand Slam singles title.
Click to Gallery
Tournament director Craig Tiley, left, and tournament referee Wayne McKewen conduct the official draw ahead of the Australian Open tennis championship in Melbourne, Australia, Thursday, Jan. 9, 2025. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
Defending champions Aryna Sabalenka and Jannik Sinner attend the official draw ceremony ahead of the Australian Open tennis championship in Melbourne, Australia, Thursday, Jan. 9, 2025. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
Belarus' Aryna Sabalenka celebrates winning against Russia's Polina Kudermetova during their final match at the Brisbane International in Brisbane, Australia, Sunday, Jan. 5, 2025. (AP Photo/Pat Hoelscher)
Serbia's Novak Djokovic is watches his coach Andy Murray, right, during a practice session ahead of the Australian Open tennis championship in Melbourne, Australia, Thursday, Jan. 9, 2025. (AP Photo/Mark Baker)
Defending champions Aryna Sabalenka and Jannik Sinner attend the official draw ceremony ahead of the Australian Open tennis championship in Melbourne, Australia, Thursday, Jan. 9, 2025. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
Top-ranked Sinner has a first-round match against Nicolas Jarry and also has Taylor Fritz, Ben Shelton and Medvedev in his quarter of the draw. Fritz will open against fellow American Jenson Brooksby.
Djokovic and No. 3 Carlos Alcaraz could meet in the quarterfinals, with a possible semifinal against No. 2 Alexander Zverev.
At the draw Thursday to set the brackets for the singles fields, defending champions Sinner and Aryna Sabalenka walked into the official ceremony on the steps of Margaret Court Arena holding their trophies.
Sabalenka won her second consecutive title at Melbourne Park in 2024 by defeating Zheng Qinwen 6-3, 6-2. Sabalenka will be attempting to win a third consecutive women’s singles title at Melbourne Park, something last accomplished by Martina Hingis from 1997 to 1999.
Sabalenka drew a tough opening match against 2017 U.S. Open champion Sloane Stephens and has 17-year-old Mirra Andreeva and Zheng in her section.
“I have a lot of great memories and to be back here ... as a two-time Australian Open champion, it’s definitely something special,” Sabalenka, who won the Brisbane International title last week, said at the draw ceremony. “I hope that I can keep doing what I’m doing here in Australia.”
Third-seeded Coco Gauff is a potential semifinal rival for Sabalenka. Gauff has a challenging first-round match against former Australian Open champion Sofia Kenin and is in the same section of the draw as four-time major winner Naomi Osaka and seventh-seeded Jessica Pegula.
No. 2 Iga Swiatek and 2022 Wimbledon champion Elena Rybakina are on the other half of the draw.
The Australian Open starts Sunday morning in Melbourne (Saturday night EST in the U.S.) and will run for 15 days.
Doping and the cases involving Sinner — which is still not fully resolved — and Swiatek was a topic that shadowed tennis in 2024 and is still a talking point in Melbourne.
There's plenty else for fans to talk about.
Djokovic will be playing in his first event alongside new coach Andy Murray, his former on-court rival and a three-time major champion. Nobody has won the men's title at Melbourne Park more often than Djokovic, although he said he still feels trauma from the one year he wasn’t allowed to play.
Nick Kyrgios, the 2022 Wimbledon runner-up who withdrew from an exhibition against Djokovic this week because of an abdominal strain, will face Jacob Fearnley in the first round if the mercurial Australian is fit enough to contest his first major since the 2022 U.S. Open. Kyrgios is in the same section as Zverev.
Tournament director Craig Tiley, left, and tournament referee Wayne McKewen conduct the official draw ahead of the Australian Open tennis championship in Melbourne, Australia, Thursday, Jan. 9, 2025. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
Defending champions Aryna Sabalenka and Jannik Sinner attend the official draw ceremony ahead of the Australian Open tennis championship in Melbourne, Australia, Thursday, Jan. 9, 2025. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
Belarus' Aryna Sabalenka celebrates winning against Russia's Polina Kudermetova during their final match at the Brisbane International in Brisbane, Australia, Sunday, Jan. 5, 2025. (AP Photo/Pat Hoelscher)
Serbia's Novak Djokovic is watches his coach Andy Murray, right, during a practice session ahead of the Australian Open tennis championship in Melbourne, Australia, Thursday, Jan. 9, 2025. (AP Photo/Mark Baker)
Defending champions Aryna Sabalenka and Jannik Sinner attend the official draw ceremony ahead of the Australian Open tennis championship in Melbourne, Australia, Thursday, Jan. 9, 2025. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
BALTIMORE (AP) — Kristian Campbell agreed to a $60 million, eight-year contract with the Boston Red Sox on Wednesday, less than a week after his major league debut.
Campbell agreed to the deal with just six days of major league service time. Boston struck a big-money deal with a rookie for the second straight year following a $50 million, eight-year contract last April with outfielder/infielder Ceddanne Rafaela, who started 2024 with 35 days of service.
“I know we have a really good team and a really good system," Campbell said. “It's a winning culture, a winning organization. ... Winning people, in the city of Boston. That made the decision fairly easy.”
Campbell gets a $2 million signing bonus, half payable within 60 days of the contract’s approval by Major League Baseball and half next Jan. 15. He receives salaries of $1 million this year, $2 million in 2026, $3 million in 2027, $4 million in 2028, $6 million in 2029, $9 million in 2030, $13 million in 2031 and $16 million in 2032. The deal includes a $19 million team option for 2033 with a $4 million buyout and a $21 million team option for 2034 with no buyout.
Salaries for 2031-34 can escalate based on accomplishment in the immediately preceding season: $200,000 for making the All-Star team, $2 million for winning an MVP award, $1 million for finishing second or third in the voting, $500,000 for fourth or fifth, and $250,000 for sixth through 10th.
A 22-year-old infielder and outfielder, Campbell made his big league debut March 27 as Boston's youngest opening day starter at second since Reggie Smith. He entered Wednesday hitting .375 (6 for 16) with two doubles, one homer, two RBIs and four walks.
“They developed me from day one, as soon as I got drafted. They've been working with me every day,” Campbell said. “I've learned something new every day. They've helped me become the player I am today. So it means a lot to me that I'm with the Red Sox for a long time.”
Campbell's new deal supersedes a one-year contract paying the $760,000 minimum while in the major leagues.
“I've just got to worry about baseball now. Everything that's happened is life-changing for sure," he said. “I'm looking forward to just playing baseball now, winning games.”
Campbell's contract comes the same week the Red Sox agreed to a $170 million, six-year contract with ace left-hander Garrett Crochet, whom Boston acquired in an offseason trade from the Chicago White Sox.
“We're building something really good,” Campbell said. “We have a lot of great players. ... Going in the right direction for sure.”
AP MLB: https://apnews.com/hub/mlb
Boston Red Sox's Kristian Campbell gestures as he stands on second base after he doubled during the second inning of a baseball game against the Baltimore Orioles, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Baltimore. (AP Photo/Nick Wass)
Boston Red Sox's Kristian Campbell, left, runs the bases past third base coach Kyle Hudson (84) after his home run during the fourth inning of a baseball game against the Texas Rangers, Saturday, March 29, 2025, in Arlington, Texas. (AP Photo/LM Otero)
Boston Red Sox's Kristian Campbell slides into third, reaching on a Wilyer Abreu single in the fourth inning of a baseball game, Friday, March 28, 2025, in Arlington, Texas. (AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez)