Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Rescue team from Hong Kong arrives in quake-hit Myanmar

China

Video Player is loading.
Current Time 0:00
Duration -:-
Loaded: 0%
Stream Type LIVE
Remaining Time 0:00
Â
1x
    • Chapters
    • descriptions off, selected
    • captions off, selected
      China

      China

      Rescue team from Hong Kong arrives in quake-hit Myanmar

      2025-03-31 17:20 Last Updated At:04-01 14:31

      A search and rescue team from China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) arrived in Mandalay, Myanmar's second largest city on Monday to join local rescue efforts following a 7.9 magnitude earthquake that hit the country on Friday.

      The 51-member team has joined the China Search and Rescue Team in the city closest to the quake's epicenter, and is getting ready for carrying out a search and rescue mission in the quake-stricken area.

      The team, after taking a brief layover at the Myanmar National Center for Disease Control (CDC) in the capital city of Nay Pyi Taw, made an overnight journey to Mandalay to begin their rescue operations.

      According to the Hong Kong SAR Government's Security Bureau, the 51-member search and rescue team comprises personnel from the Security Bureau, the Fire Services Department, the Immigration Department, and the Hospital Authority.

      The team also includes two fire search and rescue dogs.

      The earthquake that struck Myanmar on Friday noon was the largest of the year so far and the strongest continental seismic activity globally in nearly a decade. At least 1,700 people died, 3,400 were injured, and 300 remained missing as of Sunday noon, said the country's State Administration Council on Sunday.

      Rescue team from Hong Kong arrives in quake-hit Myanmar

      Rescue team from Hong Kong arrives in quake-hit Myanmar

      Next Article

      Trump imposes "reciprocal tariffs" amid widespread opposition

      2025-04-03 05:37 Last Updated At:09:07

      Amid widespread opposition, U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday signed two executive orders on the so-called "reciprocal tariffs," imposing a 10-percent "minimum baseline tariff" and higher rates on certain trading partners.

      Trump announced these tariffs in a speech in the White House Rose Garden, during which he also said a 25-percent tariff on cars and car parts imported into the U.S. will take effect on Thursday.

      Many trading partners of the U.S. have previously expressed their opposition, saying that they will take countermeasures in response.

      On Wednesday, President of the European Council Antonio Costa said the European Union must react in a "firm but smart manner" to the reciprocal tariffs.

      "This is truly a major economic mistake for the United States and also for Europe and the entire world," Costa said.

      Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni said the introduction of new U.S. tariffs would have heavy repercussions for Italian producers, adding that she did not rule out "adequate responses" to defend Italian products.

      While stating that the UK is engaging in constructive talks to reach a broader economic prosperity deal with the U.S., British Prime Minister Keir Starmer also said that the country is prepared for all possible scenarios and will not rule out any possibilities

      Trump imposes "reciprocal tariffs" amid widespread opposition

      Trump imposes "reciprocal tariffs" amid widespread opposition

      Trump imposes "reciprocal tariffs" amid widespread opposition

      Trump imposes "reciprocal tariffs" amid widespread opposition

      Recommended Articles
      Hot · Posts