The death toll of Friday's powerful 7.9-magnitude earthquake in central Myanmar rose to 2,056, according to the latest release by the country's State Administration Council Information Team.
Another 3,900 were injured and 270 others remained missing as of 12:00 Monday, said the release.
The quake, the strongest recorded in the country in a century, rocked the Sagaing Region of Myanmar, with an epicenter close to Mandalay, the country's second-largest city.
In Sagaing City, a correspondent for China Media Group (CMG) observed that the earthquake had caused widespread damage in the urban area, bringing down buildings and leaving rubble everywhere on both sides of roads. Some houses fell apart, with only a roof remaining.
"The urban area of Sagaing City is very severely damaged, with 80 percent of it destroyed," said a local resident.
"Many people died in the earthquake in the area where we live, as well as on nearby streets and Sagaing Hill. The urban area is worst-hit, causing the largest number of casualties. Some roads and bridges collapsed completely. Many people were buried under rubber," he added.
Meanwhile, in Mandalay, some high-rise buildings have completely collapsed, complicating rescue efforts in the Southeast Asian nation.
Foreign rescue teams and supplies have arrived in Myanmar to help the impoverished country cope with the deadly earthquake.
About 400 Chinese earthquake experts, rescuers and medics are participating in earthquake relief efforts in different parts of Myanmar. So far, Chinese teams have rescued six survivors in severely-hit Mandalay and Nay Pyi Taw.
"The Chinese rescue teams came to help us. They have asked about our situation and needs. They have given us aid and support. Thank you very much. I hope I can express my gratitude to the Chinese rescue teams on behalf of the people in the affected areas," said a Mandalay resident.

Myanmar earthquake leaves 2,056 killed, 3,900 injured, 270 missing

Myanmar earthquake leaves 2,056 killed, 3,900 injured, 270 missing