Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Port Houston Adds New Hybrid RTG Cranes for Continued Growth

News

Port Houston Adds New Hybrid RTG Cranes for Continued Growth
News

News

Port Houston Adds New Hybrid RTG Cranes for Continued Growth

2025-04-02 05:22 Last Updated At:05:32

HOUSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Apr 1, 2025--

On Tuesday, March 25, the Port Commission of the Port of Houston Authority met for its regular monthly meeting. Chairman Ric Campo opened the meeting with a heartfelt tribute to former Houston Mayor and Congressman Sylvester Turner, who passed away earlier in the month. Chairman Campo also shared personal reflections on his relationship with the late Congressman.

This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20250401641214/en/

“Congressman Turner was a champion of our city and of our port and leaves a tremendous legacy. We know his contributions and dedication to public service will have lasting benefits for Houston and our communities,” said Chairman Campo.

Chairman Campo also congratulated U.S. Congressman Babin for being named the Port Person of the Year by the American Association of Port Authorities, citing his long-standing commitment to ensuring federal support of the Houston Ship Channel through legislative advocacy and securing funding.

“Congressman Babin continues to be a steadfast advocate for the port and the maritime industry across the nation,” said Chairman Campo. “He spearheaded the WRDA 24 bill effort to bring federal cost sharing of maintenance and construction to 55-foot channels, a huge win for ports across the U.S. Congratulations to Congressman Babin on this well-deserved achievement.”

New Hybrid RTG Cranes

During the meeting the Port Commission awarded a contract to Konecranes Finland Corporation for the purchase of 16 hybrid rubber-tired gantry (RTG) cranes for Bayport Container Terminal. These new RTG cranes will be Port Houston’s first “one-over-six” container stacking units, setting a new standard moving forward while continuing to expand the port’s hybrid fleet to 46 in total. While this purchase underscores Port Houston’s sustainability efforts, this record also marks Port Houston’s second largest purchase of cranes and will help further optimize the use of terminal space.

Contract Awarded for New Boat Tour Vessel

The Port Commission also awarded a contract to Breaux Brothers Enterprises, Inc. for a new electric/diesel hybrid vessel to provide public tours of the Houston Ship Channel. The current tour boat, the M/V Sam Houston, has served the port for 67 years, providing free tours of the waterway to approximately 30,000 visitors every year. The new ADA-compliant vessel will allow Port Houston to better serve guests with restricted mobility, expand its maritime education outreach, and once again reinforce the port’s commitment to environmental sustainability and carbon neutrality. The estimated construction time for the new vessel is 12-14 months.

Houston Ship Channel Expansion Updates

During the meeting, staff noted the recent bid opening for the latest scheduled Project 11 work: construction by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) of the Beltway 8 Dredged Material Placement Area is now expected to commence in May. In March, Port Houston submitted a letter of intent to the USACE to partner on a feasibility study authorized by WRDA 2024 for Project 12, the next deepening project proposed for the Houston Ship Channel.

Additional Meeting Updates and Announcements

CEO Charlie Jenkins noted that during the recent Ports Day in Austin, Port Houston joined the other 22 Texas seaports of the Texas Ports Association (TPA) to advocate for infrastructure funding and other TPA legislative proposals, authored and filed by port champions Senator Carol Alvarado and Representative Mary Ann Perez.

During the meeting Chairman Campo also shared that the first Port Commission Community Advisory Council (PCCAC) meeting of the year was held earlier in March, with many new members joining the group, representing a diverse range of communities near the Houston Ship Channel.

Finally, the Community Relations Committee met on Tuesday, March 25 to review strategic goals and priorities, signature community engagement efforts, and the maritime workforce of the future program. The 2025 Community Grants Program received a record 183 letters of interest during February from local organizations, and after confirming eligibility, 157 organizations were invited to complete the full application. Final award recommendations will be provided to the Community Relations Committee on Tuesday, June 24.

The Port Commission meets next on Tuesday, April 29, 2025.

About Port Houston

For more than 100 years, Port Houston has owned and operated the public wharves and terminals along the Houston Ship Channel, including the area’s largest breakbulk facility and two of the most efficient container terminals in the country. Port Houston is the advocate and a strategic leader for the Channel. The Houston Ship Channel complex and its more than 200 private and eight public terminals is the nation’s largest port for waterborne tonnage and an essential economic engine for the Houston region, the state of Texas and the U.S. The Port of Houston supports the creation of nearly 1.5 million jobs in Texas and 3.37 million jobs nationwide, and economic activity totaling $439 billion in Texas and $906 billion in economic impact across the nation. For more information, visit the website at PortHouston.com.

Port Houston's M/V Sam Houston is aglow in the setting sun along the Houston Ship Channel. The vessel has served the port for 67 years and has provided free tours of the waterway to approximately 30,000 visitors every year. The new ADA-compliant electric/diesel hybrid vessel is scheduled for completion in about 12-14 months.

Port Houston's M/V Sam Houston is aglow in the setting sun along the Houston Ship Channel. The vessel has served the port for 67 years and has provided free tours of the waterway to approximately 30,000 visitors every year. The new ADA-compliant electric/diesel hybrid vessel is scheduled for completion in about 12-14 months.

There is busy activity on the container yards at Port Houston terminals.

There is busy activity on the container yards at Port Houston terminals.

BRUSSELS (AP) — Britain and France on Friday accused Russian President Vladimir Putin of dragging his feet in ceasefire talks to bring a halt to fighting in Ukraine and ramped up pressure on Moscow by insisting that he owes the United States an immediate answer.

Russia has effectively rejected a U.S. proposal for a full and immediate 30-day halt in the fighting after a Kremlin official said on Monday that Moscow views efforts to end its three-year war with Ukraine as “a drawn-out process.”

“Our judgment is that Putin continues to obfuscate, continues to drag his feet,” British Foreign Secretary David Lammy told reporters at NATO headquarters, standing alongside his French counterpart Jean-Noel Barrot in a symbolic show of unity.

Britain and France are helping to lead a multinational effort known as the “coalition of the willing” to set up a force to police any future peace in Ukraine.

Lammy said that while Putin should be accepting a ceasefire, “he continues to bombard Ukraine. It’s civilian population. It’s energy supplies. We see you, Vladimir Putin. We know what you are doing.”

Barrot said that Ukraine had accepted ceasefire terms three weeks ago, and that Russia now "owes an answer to the United States.” U.S. President Donald Trump has expressed frustration with Putin and Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelenskyy after he promised last year to bring the war to a swift conclusion.

“Russia has been flip-flopping, continuing its strikes on energy infrastructure, continuing its war crimes,” Barrot said. “It has to be ‘yes.’ It has to be ‘no.’ It has to be a quick answer.”

He said that Russia shows no intention of halting its military campaign, noting that Putin on Monday ordered a call-up intended to draft 160,000 conscripts for a one-year tour of compulsory military service.

The two foreign ministers pledged to continue helping to build up Ukraine’s armed forces – the country’s best security guarantee since the U.S. took any prospect of NATO membership off the table.

Coalition army chiefs were due to meet in Kyiv on Friday. Defense ministers from the group will meet at NATO headquarters next Thursday.

Britain's Foreign Secretary David Lammy, left, and French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot arrive to address the media during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers at NATO headquarters in Brussels, Friday, April 4, 2025. (AP Photo/Geert Vanden Wijngaert)

Britain's Foreign Secretary David Lammy, left, and French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot arrive to address the media during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers at NATO headquarters in Brussels, Friday, April 4, 2025. (AP Photo/Geert Vanden Wijngaert)

French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot addresses the media during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers at NATO headquarters in Brussels, Friday, April 4, 2025. (AP Photo/Geert Vanden Wijngaert)

French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot addresses the media during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers at NATO headquarters in Brussels, Friday, April 4, 2025. (AP Photo/Geert Vanden Wijngaert)

Britain's Foreign Secretary David Lammy addresses the media during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers at NATO headquarters in Brussels, Friday, April 4, 2025. (AP Photo/Geert Vanden Wijngaert)

Britain's Foreign Secretary David Lammy addresses the media during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers at NATO headquarters in Brussels, Friday, April 4, 2025. (AP Photo/Geert Vanden Wijngaert)

Britain's Foreign Secretary David Lammy, left, and French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot address the media during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers at NATO headquarters in Brussels, Friday, April 4, 2025. (AP Photo/Geert Vanden Wijngaert)

Britain's Foreign Secretary David Lammy, left, and French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot address the media during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers at NATO headquarters in Brussels, Friday, April 4, 2025. (AP Photo/Geert Vanden Wijngaert)

Britain's Foreign Secretary David Lammy, left, and French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot address the media during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers at NATO headquarters in Brussels, Friday, April 4, 2025. (AP Photo/Geert Vanden Wijngaert)

Britain's Foreign Secretary David Lammy, left, and French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot address the media during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers at NATO headquarters in Brussels, Friday, April 4, 2025. (AP Photo/Geert Vanden Wijngaert)

Recommended Articles
Hot · Posts