Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Chinese swimmer Pan Zhanle aims high while staying down-to-earth

China

Video Player is loading.
Current Time 0:00
Duration -:-
Loaded: 0%
Stream Type LIVE
Remaining Time 0:00
Â
1x
    • Chapters
    • descriptions off, selected
    • captions off, selected
      China

      China

      Chinese swimmer Pan Zhanle aims high while staying down-to-earth

      2024-08-12 22:12 Last Updated At:22:37

      China's swimming prodigy Pan Zhanle said in an interview that he will aim high while staying down-to-earth as he strives for better achievements in future competitions.

      Pan, who just turned 20 earlier this month, extended his momentum this season with two gold medals grabbed at the Paris Olympics, including a men's 100m freestyle victory with new world record.

      Advancing through his career to the provincial and national teams, Pan entered a new chapter in 2023. In May, he broke the Asian record in the men's 100m freestyle at the Chinese National Championships with a time of 47.22 seconds and further improved his record at the Hangzhou Asian Games, winning the title with a time of 46.97 seconds.

      He finished in 46.40 seconds to win the men's 100-meter freestyle at the Paris 2024 Olympic Games, topping his 46.80 seconds record made in February at the World Championships in Doha, Qatar.

      The Chinese swimming team returned to China on Aug 6 after completing all the competition tasks at the Paris Olympics.

      In an interview with China Central Television (CCTV), Pan said he is not worried if someone breaks his record, but will work harder to hold his record as long as possible.

      "There is bound to be someone who will break my record, because I created my record after having beaten other athletes' records step by step. What I'm going to do is to be able to hold the record as long as possible while I'm still active," said Pan.

      When asked whether he would feel uncomfortable if his record is broken by others, Pan said that it is natural to feel uncomfortable, but he will first congratulate the athlete who breaks his record.

      "No normal person would feel comfortable, but first of all, I will congratulate the athlete who can break my record. There has to be someone to lead the way, and then others can break out of the box. Just like I've reached this record now, I have to reach higher and farther in the future. And there will be someone to make breakthroughs, a Chinese from our country, or someone from the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, or other countries," he said.

      Making impossible possible is what athletes should do, he stressed.

      Returning from Paris in triumph, Pan set his sight on a new goal – the 15th National Games in 2025.

      When asked whether it will be less stressful to prepare for the National Games after winning in the big event of Olympic Games, Pan said he is still under much pressure.

      "The pressure is also quite big, because I have not won the 100-meter freestyle at the National Games, although I have already won the World Aquatics Championships and the Olympics," he said.

      "Normally, short-distance swimmers will reach their peak period at 22 to 24 years old, so I'm quite looking forward to it. Maybe it's a fixed mindset. But since others have said that 22 to 24 years old is the peak, I will take it, and prove it myself," said Pan.

      Chinese swimmer Pan Zhanle aims high while staying down-to-earth

      Chinese swimmer Pan Zhanle aims high while staying down-to-earth

      Next Article

      Palestinian death toll in Gaza rises to 50,423

      2025-04-03 10:47 Last Updated At:11:07

      The Palestinian death toll in Gaza Strip has risen to 50,423, with 114,638 injured, after nearly 18 months of Israeli military operations, Gaza health authorities said Wednesday.

      Local medical sources noted that since the Israeli army resumed its operations on March 18, the number of fatalities has reached 1,066, while 2,597 have been injured.

      In the past 24 hours alone, hospitals in Gaza received 24 fatalities and 55 injured. Many bodies remain trapped beneath the rubble, with ambulances and civil defense personnel struggling to reach them.

      According to a report by the Times of Israel, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) announced on Wednesday that it had carried out strikes on over 50 sites belonging to Hamas and other militant groups, ahead of a major ground push into the southern Gaza Strip. During the day, dozens more strikes were carried out across Gaza.

      In addition, the IDF issued a statement on Wednesday night that it had intercepted two rockets launched from northern Gaza. Air raid sirens were activated in areas near the Gaza Strip, and local media said that there are no reports of injuries or damage in the attack. The Al-Quds Brigades, the armed wing of Palestinian Islamic Jihad, claimed responsibility for the attack.

      According to Palestinian media reports on Wednesday, the Israeli air force targeted a medical facility operated by the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) in the Jabalia refugee camp in northern Gaza. The head of Gaza-based health authorities reported on the same day that 19 people were killed in the attack.

      The Israeli military stated on Wednesday that it had struck a Hamas command center in Jabalia.

      On Wednesday night, Al Jazeera quoted relevant sources as saying that Hamas officials had received Israel's response to the ceasefire proposal, which had been put forward by mediators and accepted by Hamas. Based on this response, they concluded that Israel had rejected the proposal.

      Palestinian death toll in Gaza rises to 50,423

      Palestinian death toll in Gaza rises to 50,423

      Recommended Articles
      Hot · Posts