Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Trial will determine who will pay $600 million settlement in disastrous Norfolk Southern derailment

News

Trial will determine who will pay $600 million settlement in disastrous Norfolk Southern derailment
News

News

Trial will determine who will pay $600 million settlement in disastrous Norfolk Southern derailment

2025-03-30 12:32 Last Updated At:12:41

Norfolk Southern wants two other companies to help pay for the $600 million class-action settlement it agreed to over its disastrous 2023 train derailment near the Ohio-Pennsylvania border and the toxic chemicals that were released and burned.

The railroad filed the motion that is set to go to trial starting Monday to force the railcar owner GATX and the chemical manufacturer OxyVinyls to share the cost of the settlement because Norfolk Southern believes those companies are partly responsible for what happened in East Palestine, Ohio, on Feb. 3, 2023.

This lawsuit won't change anything about how much money residents will receive from the settlement or any payments the village or anyone else is set to receive because those are all established in various settlement agreements. This case will only affect which company has to write the checks to pay for the class-action settlement.

Residents are still waiting to receive most of the money from the settlement because of pending appeals, although some payments have started to go out.

An assortment of chemicals spilled and caught fire after the train derailed in East Palestine. Three days later, officials blew open five tank cars filled with vinyl chloride because they feared those cars might explode, generating a massive black plume of smoke that spread over the town and forced evacuations.

Many residents still worry today about potential health consequences from those chemicals.

The derailment was the worst rail disaster since a crude oil train devastated the small Canadian town of Lac-Megantic and killed 47 people in 2013. It prompted the U.S. to focus on rail safety and reforms, which were proposed in Congress before stalling without passing.

Norfolk Southern already lost a similar lawsuit last year when it tried to force GATX and OxyVinyls to help pay for the environmental cleanup after the derailment that has cost the Atlanta-based railroad more than $1 billion. It is making similar arguments again to try to get help paying for the class-action settlement.

“Norfolk Southern alone has paid the costs relating to the derailment despite ample evidence that other parties share in the responsibility. This trial is about reinforcing the role shippers and railcar owners play in transportation safety and ensuring everyone responsible pays their fair share," the railroad said in a statement.

Norfolk Southern, like most railroads, doesn’t own most of the cars it hauls, and the railroad says everyone involved in shipping hazardous chemicals bears some responsibility for ensuring their safety under federal regulations.

Norfolk Southern argues GATX bears some responsibility for the derailment because it owned the railcar filled with plastic pellets that caused the derailment when its bearing overheated, caught fire and failed that night, sending 38 cars off the rails.

Norfolk Southern also said it believes OxyVinyls should pay because the railroad says chemical manufacturer provided inconsistent and inaccurate information about its vinyl chloride before officials decided to release and burn it.

Both GATX and OxyVinyls say it would be ridiculous to hold them responsible for the derailment when Norfolk Southern operated and inspected the train and all the cars and was responsible for delivering the cargo safely.

“Norfolk Southern’s claims against GATX are baseless," the railcar owner said in a statement.

GATX said it complied with all the relevant regulations for taking care of its railcars. The company said that even if the car was damaged six years earlier by standing parked in the middle of floodwaters from Hurricane Harvey, the railroad should have spotted the problem and repaired it, sending GATX the bill for the repairs.

The National Transportation Safety Board said the crash was caused by the failure of an overheating bearing on GATX's railcar. The railroad’s sensors spotted the bearing starting to heat up in the miles before the derailment, but it didn’t reach a critical temperature and trigger an alarm until just before the derailment. That left the crew scant time to stop the train.

Norfolk Southern recommended the vent-and-burn operation to release the vinyl chloride based partly on information about the chemical that OxyVinyls had published beforehand suggesting a chemical reaction could happen and cause the tank cars to explode.

But the NTSB confirmed in its investigation that was unnecessary because the tank cars were starting to cool off and the railroad failed to listen to the advice from OxyVinyls' experts or share their opinions with the officials who made the decision.

“This trial is nothing more than Norfolk Southern’s continued attempt to shift the blame, attention, and financial responsibility for its train derailment, response, and vent and burn decision to anyone other than itself,” the Texas-based company said. “OxyVinyls did not cause the derailment, its tank cars did not breach, and it did not make the decision to vent and burn the VCM (vinyl chloride monomer) cars.”

The trial is expected to last two to three weeks.

FILE - This photo taken with a drone shows portions of a Norfolk and Southern freight train that derailed Friday night in East Palestine, Ohio are still on fire at mid-day Saturday, Feb. 4, 2023. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar, File)

FILE - This photo taken with a drone shows portions of a Norfolk and Southern freight train that derailed Friday night in East Palestine, Ohio are still on fire at mid-day Saturday, Feb. 4, 2023. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar, File)

FILE - Portions of a Norfolk Southern freight train that derailed the night before burn in East Palestine, Ohio, Feb. 4, 2023. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar, File)

FILE - Portions of a Norfolk Southern freight train that derailed the night before burn in East Palestine, Ohio, Feb. 4, 2023. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar, File)

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Los Angeles County has reached a $4 billion agreement to settle nearly 7,000 claims of sexual abuse in juvenile facilities since 1959. Officials say the agreement still needs approval from the Los Angeles County board of supervisors. It would be the largest such settlement in U.S. history.

Here is a list of the largest settlements reached in recent years by organizations and victims of sexual abuse:

The Archdiocese of Los Angeles agreed to pay $800 million to victims of clergy sexual abuse, bringing the total payout by the Catholic archdiocese, which covers Santa Barbara, Ventura and Los Angeles counties, to more than $1.5 billion.

The Boy Scouts of America reached a $2.6 billion agreement with more than 80,000 men who said they were molested as children by Scout leaders and others. At the time, it was the largest aggregate sexual abuse settlement in U.S. history.

The University of Southern California agreed to an $852 million settlement with more than 700 women who accused the college’s longtime campus gynecologist of sexual abuse. When combined with an earlier settlement of a separate class-action suit, USC agreed to pay out more than $1 billion for claims against Dr. George Tyndall, who worked at the school for nearly three decades.

Michigan State University agreed to pay $500 million to settle claims from more than 300 women and girls who said they were assaulted by sports doctor Larry Nassar. Separately, the U.S. Justice Department agreed to a $138.7 million settlement with more than 100 people who accused the FBI of grossly mishandling allegations of sexual assault against Nassar in 2015 and 2016.

The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis announced a $210 million settlement with 450 victims of clergy sexual abuse as part of its plan for bankruptcy reorganization.

The Archdiocese of Los Angeles settled clergy sex abuse cases with 508 victims for $660 million. That same year, the Catholic Diocese of San Diego agreed to pay $198 million to settle 400 lawsuits alleging priests and others sexually abused children.

The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston, one of the nation’s most influential dioceses, agreed to pay $85 million to settle more than 500 clergy sex-abuse lawsuits. The landmark case set off reports around the United States and the world of widespread abuse by priests, and efforts by the church to hide it.

FILE - The San Diego Diocesan Pastoral Center, headquarters for the Roman Catholic Church, in San Diego, Ca., Feb. 27, 2007. (AP Photo/Lenny Ignelzi, File)

FILE - The San Diego Diocesan Pastoral Center, headquarters for the Roman Catholic Church, in San Diego, Ca., Feb. 27, 2007. (AP Photo/Lenny Ignelzi, File)

FILE - The St. Paul Cathedral is pictured in St. Paul, Minn., May 3, 2016. (AP Photo/Jim Mone, File)

FILE - The St. Paul Cathedral is pictured in St. Paul, Minn., May 3, 2016. (AP Photo/Jim Mone, File)

FILE - Disgraced former sports doctor Larry Nassar appears in court for a plea hearing, Nov. 22, 2017, in Lansing, Mich. (AP Photo/Paul Sancya, File)

FILE - Disgraced former sports doctor Larry Nassar appears in court for a plea hearing, Nov. 22, 2017, in Lansing, Mich. (AP Photo/Paul Sancya, File)

FILE - People enter the University of Southern California's Engemann Student Health Center in Los Angeles, May 22, 2018. (AP Photo/Richard Vogel, File)

FILE - People enter the University of Southern California's Engemann Student Health Center in Los Angeles, May 22, 2018. (AP Photo/Richard Vogel, File)

FILE - A statue stands outside the Boy Scouts of America headquarters in Irving, Texas, Feb. 12, 2020. (AP Photo/LM Otero, File)

FILE - A statue stands outside the Boy Scouts of America headquarters in Irving, Texas, Feb. 12, 2020. (AP Photo/LM Otero, File)

FILE - People attend a memorial service outside the Cathedral of Our Lady of Angels in Los Angeles, Jan. 19, 2021. (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes, File)

FILE - People attend a memorial service outside the Cathedral of Our Lady of Angels in Los Angeles, Jan. 19, 2021. (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes, File)

Recommended Articles
Hot · Posts