Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Paul House, who spent two decades on Tennessee's death row before he was freed, has died.

News

Paul House, who spent two decades on Tennessee's death row before he was freed, has died.
News

News

Paul House, who spent two decades on Tennessee's death row before he was freed, has died.

2025-04-01 05:51 Last Updated At:06:01

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Paul “Greg” House, who spent two decades on Tennessee's death row before he was finally freed, and later campaigned against the death penalty, died on March 22 at the age of 63, according to his longtime attorneys.

“Mr. House’s innocence was indefatigably championed by his attorneys and by his mother, Joyce House,” a statement from Federal Defender Services of Eastern Tennessee reads. “Although Mr. House spent far too many years wrongly convicted and facing execution, he was able to spend 17 years after his release with Joyce and his other family. He died peacefully with the knowledge that his innocence had been recognized.”

House died of complications from pneumonia after living for many years with multiple sclerosis.

House was convicted in 1986 and sentenced to death in the killing of neighbor Carolyn Muncey in rural Union County, Tennessee. House maintained his innocence through years of appeals. At one point in 2004, the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals declined to overturn a state ruling that denied House a new trial. One of the dissenting judges, Judge Ronald Lee Gilman, was so concerned that he wrote, “I am convinced that we are faced with a real-life murder mystery, an authentic ‘who-done-it’ where the wrong man may be executed.”

The case went all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court, where in 2006 the majority concluded that House would not have been convicted based on the DNA evidence that emerged years after his trial.

However, House remained in prison as prosecutors said they intended to retry him. He was finally released in 2008, when an anonymous donor posted his $100,000 bond. On the day he left prison, he told reporters, “I feel pretty good. All I am looking forward to is going home and eating some chili verde and pizza. I’m glad to be out. It’s been a long time.”

He was placed under house arrest at his mother's Crossville home while the threat of another trial loomed. Finally, in May of 2009, state prosecutors dropped the charges against him.

Joyce House told reporters at the time that they were “floating around here on Cloud Nine. ... It has been too long in coming.”

Stacy Rector, director of Tennesseans for Alternatives to the Death Penalty, worked with Joyce House for years to try to get Paul House released. Later, she continued working with Paul House to publicize his story. He joined Witness to Innocence, a death penalty abolition group led by people who have been freed from death row and their families.

“He was pretty honest about how he felt about the way he'd been treated by the system,” Rector said Monday. “It was sometimes on the salty side.”

After his release, House was “very content” to live with his mother, even though he had lost the ability to walk.

“He was so relieved to be out of that situation and cared for,” Rector said. “He loved his momma's cooking.”

FILE - Death row inmate Paul House talks during at interview at the Louis M. DeBerry Special Needs Facility in Nashville, Tenn, April 16, 2008. (AP Photo/Mark Humphrey, File)

FILE - Death row inmate Paul House talks during at interview at the Louis M. DeBerry Special Needs Facility in Nashville, Tenn, April 16, 2008. (AP Photo/Mark Humphrey, File)

FILE - Paul Gregory House, 46, who was on death row for 22 years after being convicted in 1986 of murdering Carolyn Muncey in East Tennessee, hoist his drink after seeing a "Free Paul House" shirt worn by Stacy Rector, executive director of the Tennessee Coalition to Abolish State Killing, after his release from prison custody at the Lois Deberry Special Needs Facility, Wednesday, July 2, 2008, in Nashville, Tenn. (AP Photo/Bill Waugh, file)

FILE - Paul Gregory House, 46, who was on death row for 22 years after being convicted in 1986 of murdering Carolyn Muncey in East Tennessee, hoist his drink after seeing a "Free Paul House" shirt worn by Stacy Rector, executive director of the Tennessee Coalition to Abolish State Killing, after his release from prison custody at the Lois Deberry Special Needs Facility, Wednesday, July 2, 2008, in Nashville, Tenn. (AP Photo/Bill Waugh, file)

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Los Angeles County has reached a $4 billion agreement to settle nearly 7,000 claims of sexual abuse in juvenile facilities since 1959, officials said Friday.

The agreement, which still needs approval from the Los Angeles County board of supervisors, would be the largest in history and have long-lasting financial effects for the county, officials said.

“On behalf of the County, I apologize wholeheartedly to everyone who was harmed by these reprehensible acts,” Fesia Davenport, the county’s chief executive, said in a statement.

A group of plaintiffs’ attorneys said they filed a lawsuit against the county in 2022 on behalf of more than 1,200 people who alleged they were mistreated and sexually abused in juvenile facilities. The plaintiffs were able to sue because of a California law that took effect in 2020 and suspended for three years the statute of limitations for childhood sex abuse victims to bring cases.

Many of the claims involved the MacLaren Children’s Center, which was closed in 2003. The facility, which was intended to be a safe space for children awaiting placement in foster homes, opened in 1961 and was overseen by probation officials until it was placed under the county’s Department of Children and Family Services in 1976.

“This landmark settlement represents restorative justice for victims,” Patrick McNicholas, one of the lead attorneys for the plaintiffs, said in a statement. “By balancing justice for the victims with a commitment to reform, this resolution ensures both acknowledgment of past wrongs and a pathway to a safer, more accountable future.”

The proposed agreement includes creating a countywide hotline for reporting child sexual abuse allegations against county employees and developing a system to expedite investigations, county officials said.

The agreement by Los Angeles County is considered one of the largest settlements in U.S. history involving sexual abuse allegations going back decades and surpasses the Boy Scouts of America’s 2022 settlement for $2.6 billion with more than 80,000 men who said they were molested as children by Scout leaders and others.

Last year, the Archdiocese of Los Angeles agreed to pay $800 million to victims of clergy sexual abuse, bringing the total payout to more than $1.5 billion.

Disclosure of the massive tentative payout comes at a time when the nation’s largest county — home to about 10 million residents — is facing a tightening bind of financial obligations on its $49 billion annual budget. County officials fear hundreds of millions of dollars for public services could vanish in Trump administration cutbacks, while the county has seen additional costs from January’s historic wildfires while it also deals with an ongoing homeless crisis.

Chief Executive Officer Fesia Davenport recently said the county is facing a “large amount of uncertainty” with its budget — some agencies are largely funded by federal dollars.

The county’s claims board will consider the proposed settlement Monday. If approved, it would be considered by the board of supervisors April 29.

Taxin reported from Santa Ana, California.

FILE - Jonathan Wright, 39, holds up the T-shirt he was given when he first went to MacLaren Children's Center in El Monte as an 8-year-old during a news conference in Los Angeles, June 9, 2022. (AP Photo/Christopher Weber, File)

FILE - Jonathan Wright, 39, holds up the T-shirt he was given when he first went to MacLaren Children's Center in El Monte as an 8-year-old during a news conference in Los Angeles, June 9, 2022. (AP Photo/Christopher Weber, File)

Recommended Articles
Hot · Posts